Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacement DriveShaft Options?
Ok, to start with, here's the relative specs.
2000, 4x4, auto, crewcab, shortbed, which is a 156" wheelbase, with a 6" lift.
I'm well aware of the common issue with the slip-joint and the fix of re-greasing it.
When I first bought the truck 5-6yrs ago, it had a bit of a clunk, so I pulled the drive shaft, greased it, good to go for a while. Clunk comes back, pull, grease, replace. The last few times I've done it, it has lasted less & less time before the clunk was back. I've experimented with all types of grease from just standard bearing grease, to hi-temp, to marine, to the expensive Ford baby blue grease specifically intended for it. No real change. The last time I had the drive shaft out, I notice on the slip joint splines the blue plastic coating was very worn and coming apart.
So, I'm thinking it may be time to do more than regreasing. Here are my ideas/options.
1. Take the current drive shaft to a drivetrain shop, have them remove & replace the male/female sections of the slip joint.
2. Get a replacement drive shaft low miles/good shape from a junkyard, clean/grease it & stick it in.
3. Get a new replacement drive shaft. This may not be an option. Looking at most of the parts suppliers, RockAuto, NothernAuto, Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc they only offer a 136" (137) wheelbase drive shaft? So only option would maybe be Ford?
4. Get rid of the two piece drive shaft entirely and have a local shop build a one piece. Jury seems to be split on this. Some guys running them say they're great, some people say a one piece that long is too weak & can't be balanced.
5. Keep a two piece drive shaft, but replace the slip joint union by getting one of the drive shafts with the CV joints that are specifically intended for lifted vehicles. ( High Angle Drivline-Call Jesse at 530-877-2875 - My Buildup )
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Similar experiences?
'00 Ford F250 4x4 PSD
'89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
'03 BMW 530i Sport