Towing Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing Question

I was wondering how well your guys trucks pull campers. I have a 35 ft. fifthwheel camper that weighs about 11,500 lbs. loaded and is 13 ft. high my truck is a 2001 F-250 7.3 (stock besides air cleaner) with 6-speed manual trans. and I have trouble pulling it in 5th gear and I was wondering if this would be normal for a stock truck or if I am low on power. If I shift down to 4th gear it does great but then I like to keep it below 60 mph so the rpms arent to high and on the freeway that is just to slow for me. I don't want to put a programer on it because I would like it to run another 200,000 miles but maybe I will have too just wanted to know what your thoughts are on what a stock truck should be able to pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A tuner will help, just pay attention to your EGT and you'll be fine. Not sure on the 6 speed, but my 2000 with a 4R100 can pull my 36' enclosed gooseneck @28,000 lbs combined and do 40+ up the passes and 70 on the flats if I don't have a head wind. When you're towing, you will need to keep the RPM up a bit higher than when unloaded. With my auto, below about 2100-2200 RPM with my trailer loaded will result in dropping a gear on most hills.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 AM

do you mean you have trouble pulling it in OD ? because that would be normal for a stock truck. i have a 40ft 5th weel and that sounds about right. a little headwind or hill no OD. get some quality custom tunes like tw, or php and watch your gauges and dont get crazy and it should still run a long time. thats my next purchase!

Last edited by CowboyCody; 04-08-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Hey, I have a 5th wheel very similar in size to yours and my truck handles it very well. My truck is an auto trans. so I can't really comment on that part. I had a 05 F250 previously and upgrading to the F350 made a huge difference.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 5er about the same size and weight as yours. I puleed it with a 99 f-250 and with my 08 F-250 just fine. Easy doing 70 on the flat freeway. Both were aut toranny's though
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM

i agree; flat freeway no wind cruzing at 70 top gear shouldnt be a problem auto or manual, i could do that with my dads 95 with 280,000 on it but some headwind, or a hill its a workout and i would probly have to shift down. i am hoping the new truck will be a little better
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Hey thanks for the input sounds like my truck ain't too far off then cause if it is perfectly calm and no hills i can go 70 mph but any kind of wind or hill and she starts to loose speed then I have to downshift. I haven't found a hill it won't go up at 60 mph in fourth gear though just seems like 5th gear is too high for a big load. Just thought she would have a little more power stock but I quess I may have to get a tuner.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

See my signature. My 5er is 12K#.

I tow around 60mph (I'm comfortable there). The truck usually has no troubles pulling in OD unless, like others mentioned, head winds, hills.

The thing to remember, these 5ers are like pulling a billboard around. They're tall and long-sided and not the most aerodynamic vehicles built. Plus you add the weight on there....unfortunately, it means the truck doesn't behave the same as it does empty (I wish there was a way to fix that, but ...........)

Sounds like you're in the same boat as us other RVers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camper, towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.