Question on shutting off and restarting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on shutting off and restarting

Maybe a stupid question here...

I always hear diesel motors running at idle verses shutting them off. If you are not driving anywhere for lets say, 5 to 10 minutes - should I shut the motor off or let it run at idle?

I know that starting a motor is tough on them with the first few rotations not having proper oiling in the rotating assembly and all. What is a good rule of thumb with our motors to just leave them running?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 AM

IMHO just shut it off. also makes it harder to steal.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Depends on what time of year it is for me, also what I have been doing. If it is winter and I am stopping somewhere I will let it run, if it is summer time and I know I will be there longer than 5 minutes I will shut it off, that is unless I have the air on and am going to be getting back in and driving a ways and want to keep it cool. This does however depend on if I have been towing one of the big trailers, b/c if I have then I will let it run regardless of time of year. I guess it really all boils down to the situation and what your personal preference is. Some guys will say with fuel getting so expensive shut it off and save money, however letting it idle for 5-10 minutes is only going to use a few cents worth.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM

motor considerations only not your comfort i would say if it is cold and its gonna be 5min, let it run. any more shut it off. if its warm outside as long as the turbo isnt hot go ahead and shut it off. but if you have been doing some heavy towing or hard driving you need to let the turbo cool before you shut it off anyway in that case you might as well let it run.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

If you have gauges, I let my EGTs get down to 300 before I shut it down. Which doesn't really take that long. I can get it down to 200 but it will take a few minutes.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentAustin View Post
If you have gauges, I let my EGTs get down to 300 before I shut it down. Which doesn't really take that long. I can get it down to 200 but it will take a few minutes.
i cant stand waiting that long but below 400* is acceptable so i usually shut down at 350, and my turbo still lives, so i guess that says somethin.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks all for your inputs !

I will let it idle for 5 minutes or so... But look at EGTs for the temps and not shut it down early if they are up there.

It is funny to watch the EGT numbers as they fluctuate so much with acceleration and letting off the pedal. It is kind of fun to do so, lol.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.