Safe Water Temps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Safe Water Temps?

I just installed an auto meter water temp gauge in my early 99 7.3. and went for a test drive.

the auto meter was reading at 140F at the time the stock gauge reached its normal position (about half way). but the autometer eventually creeped up to about 205 (5th gear at 55MPH) without the stock gauge moving at all from its normal spot. in an attempt to get some airflow i sped up to 75 and the autometer immediatly dropped to 180 degreese, even tho the stock gauge never moved.

1, what is the safe temps for this truck? everyday drive temps and when should i start to worry about it getting too hot?

2, could i have possibly been running this truck at very hot temps this entire time when the gauge reads normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Interesting.. wish i knew the answer but im thinking about getting some more gauges myself(water temp, oil temp, etc).
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
I just installed an auto meter water temp gauge in my early 99 7.3. and went for a test drive.

the auto meter was reading at 140F at the time the stock gauge reached its normal position (about half way). but the autometer eventually creeped up to about 205 (5th gear at 55MPH) without the stock gauge moving at all from its normal spot. It's an idiot guage and just that. That's why smart fellas put a real guage in to monitor the temps. in an attempt to get some airflow i sped up to 75 and the autometer immediatly dropped to 180 degreese, even tho the stock gauge never moved. Ditto above statement.1, what is the safe temps for this truck? everyday drive temps and when should i start to worry about it getting too hot? 220-240 is not uncommon (depending on ambient temp and workload). Remember that your sender unit is reading the water temp after it has done it's work in removing heat from your block & oil cooler (heat exchange). As this water enters the top of your radiator at this 200+ temp it cools down to 140-160 (about the same temp as your Transmission Fluid Temp if it were a 4R100).2, could i have possibly been running this truck at very hot temps this entire time when the gauge reads normal?
Also remember that even though water boils at 212 Degrees (at sea level) the water in a vehicles system is under pressure and therefore will boil at a much higher temp. As is the opposite in a vaccum. Hence the reason for putting a vaccum pump on a fridge or air con system. Pull a vaccum an any water/moisture (the system killer) in the system boils off at a few degrees and gets sucked out as a vapour.
However I digress, my apologies
I wouldn't suspect that your truck has been running too hot mate. I'm no expert but you sound good to me.

Cheers,
Reg.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yea what he said... running empty I usually hang around 190 ish. when pulling hard 220+ ish and then the fan comes on and makes the truck moan and groan.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i found out that the stock thermostat opens at 195 and i drove it to work for a test drive, and sure enough after 205 it opens up and it drops to 180. it then climbs to 205ish and drops again. so im assuming thats when the thermostat opens and closes at a certain temp. im not sure why my stock gauge stays the same but as long as its not overheating i guess im fine. we will see when we hit 105-110 at the beach this summer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.