AutoEnginuity Coolant Temperature Question on 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AutoEnginuity Coolant Temperature Question on 2000 7.3

I have been fitting a problem with tuning lately on my 7.3. It idles real rough and i have tunes from Jonathan at beans and cass 160cc single w 100 over. Jonathan told me to check my EOT and ECT with the AE to make sure that couldn't be causing a problem. When i did the Engine Oil Temp was 73F cold on a day that the ambient temperature was around 70F but the Engine Coolant Temp was 302F. I figured this had to be the problem but the Gauge on the dash was at C and warmed up as the truck did. My question is i have heard talk of 2 ECT sensors on the OBS but what about the 99-03. If i unplug the ECT in the water pump the dash goes to C but the AE still says 53F. The AE gave me all sorts of crazy readings. First 302 then went to 0 and climbed steadily to 274 degrees while driving. Is there 2 ECT's one for the gauge and one for the PCM on a 2000 7.3 6speed manual. If there is does anybody know where the one that feeds the PCM is found? Anybody else use AE to look at their ECT's? Can you just not trust AE for this parameter. This is something i found searching around that

This is listed for 03

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) - With Manual Transmission Only

The Engine Coolant Sensor is used as the primary input to the Electronic Control System to enable adaptive cooling. This provides a means of providing adequate cooling in severe engine temperature conditions. When ECT is greater than 107C (225F) , the fueling rate of the engine is modified to provide cooling protection and prevent engine damage due to overheating.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor - With Manual Transmission Only (front of engine)

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases, and increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

If the PCM receives a high engine temperature signal from the ECT, it will adjust fueling rates to protect the engine from damage due to overheating.

Engine Oil Temperature Sensor

The Engine Oil Temperature sensor is a thermistor mounted to the oil reservoir whose resistance decreases as engine oil temperature increases. The Engine Oil Temperature signal is used by the PCM to calculate fuel quantity, injection timing, glow plug operation and exhaust back-pressure.

At low ambient air temperatures, and oil temperature below 50C (122F) , low idle is increased to a maximum of 1300 rpm to increase engine warm-up. Fuel quantity and timing is controlled throughout the total operating range to provide adequate torque and power.

An Engine Oil Temperature signal detected out of range, high or low, by the PCM will cause the PCM to assume an engine oil temperature of 20C (68F) for starting purposes and 100C (212F) for operating purposes. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp in the instrument cluster will be illuminated as long as the fault condition exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont think the 7.3 has a coolant temp sensor. The 6.0 does. If you really want to know coolant temp go get a cheap temp gauge from autozone and put the probe into the port on the side of the waterpump. Its 3/8 if I remember right. There is just a plug in it from the factory. Most of us put a coolant filer off that port.

Also at EOT below 100 the truck will not run well. My truck does not get happy till 125 ish and above.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talyle View Post
This is listed for 03
they must be talking about the 03 with the 6.0
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gee, I think they have to.....

ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature
EOT = Engine Oil Temperature
Attached Thumbnails
AutoEnginuity Coolant Temperature Question on 2000 7.3-sensorlocations.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Coolant temp

I think that happened to me one time, i think I was using the wrong protocol on the AE, i called them and they were very helpful with getting it resolved.

Paul
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i Know it has the one ECT on the water pump that stands vertical on the drivers side like what NoRalphs has provided in his picture and i believe that is just for the Gauge in the dash. The PCM still seems to have a reading with this unplugged, which either means the PCM doesn't have a ECT reading from a sensor and this data is erroneous or there is another sensor dedicated for the PCM. I am thinking that the parameter just doesn't exist personally but am not 100% sure. If there is another ECT sensor does anybody know where it would be
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not 100% positive about the ECT here but, I don't think gauges work that way anymore...

What we all have now are "idiot gauges" that is, they are idiot lights with a needle

The gauges are controlled by the PCM to limit owners concerns about fluctuations. They read "Right-In-The-Middle" 99% of the time no matter What the sensor says.

I know my Trans Temp does when compared to my EV2s. I watch the factory idiot gauge climb up to the middle slowly while the real gauge stays on the peg. Then, as it actually heats-up that stupid gauge stays right there while I see a 150 degree change doesn't move a bit!

I can only assume the Coolant Temp is doing the same thing.....
Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Dang talyle - I just started another post with this same question before I found your post. I'm just learning about my AE scan tool and tonight I scanned my truck only to find an AE reported temp of 250 then up to 280 - after less than 10 minutes of idling. I know this can't be right as the engine couldn't possibly have been that hot so I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I have found some other posts about AE not reporting good values for coolant temperature but I'm still wondering. Did you ever learn anything more?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
Dang talyle - I just started another post with this same question before I found your post. I'm just learning about my AE scan tool and tonight I scanned my truck only to find an AE reported temp of 250 then up to 280 - after less than 10 minutes of idling. I know this can't be right as the engine couldn't possibly have been that hot so I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I have found some other posts about AE not reporting good values for coolant temperature but I'm still wondering. Did you ever learn anything more?
No i didn't find out anymore. I am convinced that the ECT probe in the water pump is just for the gauge in the dash, cause when i unplug it, the gauge goes to nothing and AE keeps reading the same erroneous value. In some later trucks with manuals there might be a second ECT like the OBS's but i am convinced mine only has one and the pcm only takes into consideration the Engine oil temp for fuel maps, timing, ect. This is my best guess based on the information i have come accross take it with a grain of salt. Also the AE reading is inaccurate and this feature should be taken out for these years to prevent confusion
Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 AM

I wrote to AE support about this issue. They confirmed that the pinout is there and AE sees it but the 7.3 application does not use this pinout so it floats - the result is that we see bogus information. Just ignore it, it's a result of Ford using the same hardware for multiple applications.

So now we have our answer - just ignore this information. Wish I had known this before - I momentarily panicked when I saw my coolant temp at 280F!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.