Trans rebuild tips and tricks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans rebuild tips and tricks?

alright the time has come for me to rebuild the trans in my truck. its been slipping for a while and doing some retarded shifting so i knew it was coming to an end plus its had a pretty hard life since it was rebuilt 5 yrs ago before i bought the truck. i pulled the pan the other day to do a fluid and filter change just to hopefully help out for a little while and yet again there was lots of metallic particals in there along with a nice little present. it ended up being one of the steels that somehow got spit out into the oil pan into 3 pieces. one edge is smooth and the other is wavy which makes me think its a steel or whatever.

i ordered a full soft rebuild kit from importporformancetrans.com and also a new high output front pump and am planning to do the rebuild myself this weekend. i didnt get a high performance valve body because there is already one installed onto the trans that i have. i also ordered one of their repair manuals that they said is very helpful. the reason im doin it myself is because ive pretty much tackled every other aspect of a 7.3 from head gaskets, to injectors to full engine swaps and what not so i figure why pay a shop 1000 dollars or more in labor for a job i most likely can do myself with a little patience.

that being said i would like some help from some ppl who have rebuilt the 4r100 them selves. are there any tips or things that i should know before jumping into it? any things to watch out for or to check while its apart? and are there any things i can do to make it easier or problems that youve ran into that u can inform me about that i might have as well... i plan on having the trans out thursday morning and pulled apart on my workbench. my parts come in friday and id like to have it back together and installed into the truck by saturday.. this is possible right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm no help, but I did see a good thread about someone who just did this, with alot of pics and tips. Ill see if i can find it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM

thanks man. it will be much appreciated

ill try to take a few pics and take down notes of things as i do my build incase i can help anyone in the future
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM

here it is, not sure if you already saw it or not noob transmission rebuild ... for the poor man what kind of rebuild kit did you get? I have been watching this one on ebay not sure if it is junk or not High Performance Rebuild Kit 4R100 98-up Red Alto - eBay (item 400072141243 end time May-01-11 08:39:05 PDT)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM

I was able to pull the trans out of my truck with two friends on a saturday afternoon, another friend of mine and his trans guy rebuilt my trans in about an hour or so and the truck was back on the road saturday night. So it's definatly doable in a few days!

I had no part in the trans rebuilding process I just watched and threw the trans back in when they were done. For me, the triple disk billet covered converter and shift kit together was the most expensive part.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM

yeah the alto clutches are what they use in alot of the kits that ive seen. ive scanned through a cpl websites and thats what i keep seeing. the kit i got was 399 with everything included for the rebuild and i also got a high volume front pump as well that they say helps alot with the line pressures and other problems with the 4r100. it was 349 and i got a repair manual as well. all ended up coming out to be like 798 dollars or something. idk what clutches are in the repair kit that i got but he said itll standup to whatever i throw at it and they are tough. orielleys wanted 450 for just a stock rebuild kit so i think i did good
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM

cool deal. i figure if i have my trans out thursday morning i can have it apart and ready to go. just sucks cuz my parts wont be in from UPS till friday afternoon which puts a hold on my project. pulling out and installing the trans i know will be a fairly easy job for sure. **** i can pull a motor in 2 hours now with the right tools and a tractor with a bucket to lift it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Matt View Post
I was able to pull the trans out of my truck with two friends on a saturday afternoon, another friend of mine and his trans guy rebuilt my trans in about an hour or so and the truck was back on the road saturday night. So it's definatly doable in a few days!

I had no part in the trans rebuilding process I just watched and threw the trans back in when they were done. For me, the triple disk billet covered converter and shift kit together was the most expensive part.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM

oh.. and ive already got some kind of upgraded converter and a upgraded valve body. just unsure of what brand/kind cuz it was done before i bought the truck
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM

where you located? I'd like to help and learn in the process if your close
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM

orange texas... on the louisiana border. i think ur pfile says ur from florida so thats pretty far lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.