Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trade cummins for a 7.3? Opinions wanted

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Dietoremain 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 24v cummins with 121k on it. Its slightly modded (chip, exhaust, intake) nothing special. Its been a pretty good truck (for the year i've owned it) except for this winter, it was a nightmare. Had to replace the boost sensor, vp44 injection pump, and the chip in the same month. Also i think the power steering pump, or hydroboost is starting to go, and every time i park it somewhere overnight, there are 3 more puddles of something leaking. The cancer in the fenders is starting to appear too. Im getting pretty fed up with all of this and I know that things break and trucks require repairs, but I dont know if Im being lazy and cheap or if anyone else in my place would be getting tired of this too.

Now I've been thinking about it and part of me wants to try something new and get a 7.3. From what i've read, 7.3's are one of the most reliable diesels when it comes to ford, and i've also read that ford trucks feel more solid and are better engineered then their dodge counterparts.

I'm not the guy looking to make huge power with my truck. Most likely itll just be a chip, intake, and exhaust, maybe some other small things. Mainly I just want my truck to be able to get me from a to b, do the work I need it to, and be somewhat quick when I want it to be. Any advice would be awesome, or opinions or experience that anyone has. It would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
IMO, Ford has the best truck all around. Ride is better, built better, and it has a very good engine it. I don't think you would be dissatisfied if you chose to go with the 7.3. I love driving my truck. It fills so solid when going down any road/highway and has more than enough power to satisfy my needs. Yeah, every truck has some issues, but with the tons of useful information on ORG, these issues can sometimes be very easy to fix.

And :ORG welcome:

#3 ·
dont be wanting to go to fast in a 7.3:hehe: jk it may not be as quick but it will get you where you need to with out having to fix me my brother and dad all drivin them and the last problems we have had in a couple years was a waterpump, starter, and dads reverse went out other then that just changin oils

#4 ·
I'm very happy with my 7.3. I almost went with the Dodge just because the engine is so great, but my truck is mostly a stock 60-mile-a-day freeway cruiser/commuter and work truck, not trying to hot rod it; and I couldn't be happier. The Ford is a much, much nicer truck for everyday driving and really holds together very well. A buddy of mine has a 12v 97 Cummins Ram and the engine has been good, but just about everything else has broken on that truck, and he just uses it as a freeway commuter now. I think you'd be happy with the Ford

A DIY intake or AIS with a Diamond Eye or MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and a PHP or DP tune would do everything you want and then some, while keeping the truck factory reliable.

#5 ·
I LOVE my 7.3. It's not the fastest stock, but with the stage 1 injectors I have and the Edge I had on it, it would have easily layed a whooping on my buddies '01 5.9 with an Edge juice w/Attitude. It was pretty damn quick. (Note I said was, I only had the Edge for a few days. Working on getting a custom tuned 6-position chip for even more power :evillol:).

I bought it with 193k miles, and now at almost 206k it hasn't skipped one single beat, and I'm not an easy driver either. The interior is still tight, the paint is holding up great, and I just all around love it! Granted I have a '96, but the engines stayed mostly the same, just the power rating went up.

I say if you're looking for a 7.3, take your time, do your research, know what to be looking for when you look at a truck, and don't rush into buying one. Mine was well mantained and I couldn't be more pleased with how it's treated me.

#6 ·
I've had two 7.3's. A 99 dually and an 02 Excursion. I've also had three Cummins, a 1996, 2003 and 2006. In this order, 96 Dodge, 99 Ford, 2003, 2006 Dodges and finally the 02 Ex. You can tell the pattern...Get pissed off at Dodge and buy a Ford...repeat.

I live in a rural NV setting with over a mile of washboard dirt road to my house. The coil Cummins rides a lot nicer than the leaf sprung Ford. That being said, two out of my three Cummins had the dreaded "Dodge Death Wobble" that lead me back to Ford.

My Cummins got better mpg than the powerstrokes, but the Powerstrokes felt a lot quicker and faster than the Cummins. Four of my trucks were bought new by me and all of them had well into the 100k miles when I sold them. The Fords really do age better than the Dodges that's for sure. When I say this, I mean the truck as a whole. What's the sense of having a great engine (Cummins) if there's no truck left around it?

I take care of my trucks including oil analysis with each change, but when things are constantly failing on the 06 Dodge with 136k miles it was a no brainer going back to 7.3 in the 02 Excursion.

The hardest part is finding the right 7.3. Which I'm trying to again...Only this time a manual 6 speed, shortbed, extended cab 4x4 white in color. Good luck with your search and decision.

#7 ·
I was going back and forth between the Ford and the Cummins (see my name? LOL!) when I bought my E99. I definitely made the right decision going with the Ford, all around much better truck and I test drove enough in the 2 months before committing to notice how weak and flimsy the Dodges felt. :icon_ford:

I also worked for a company that had 7 or 8 Powerstrokes, mostly 7.3's, with a couple 6.0's and seeing they held up neglected and abused as they were really became a deciding factor. Not that I neglect my truck, but its nice to see how badly they can be beaten and still come back for more.

Plus I had ridden in my dad's '06 6.0 FX4 for the year before buying mine, I know different front end, and I liked the solid feel of it.

#8 ·
this is a lot of good information guys, thanks. seems like the general consensus is that the ford is an all around better truck. now i know theres a few differences in the 7.3's. Seeing as im not looking to make huge power, is there really any problem with the late 7.3 and the pmr's?

#9 ·
theres ALOT of PMR motors running around with alotta miles, so that being said, nope just dont go overboard with the power adders..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.