still fighting to get the turbo off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
still fighting to get the turbo off

Wasted like half the day on this already.

I have a Ford shop manual on CD, and a Chilton shop manual. Each is telling me something else.

Shop manual says loosen the Marmon clamp and disconnect the exhaust outlet. That's done. Then down the line it says loosen the Marmon clamp. But doesn't say to what, but I'm guessing that other clamp in the back connects the up-pipes. I got that one loose too, manual says they can't be removed with the turbocharger installed. Then it says remove the turbo charger.

In the Chilton manual, it says to disconnect the exhaust pipe at the catalytic converter. That's the one giving me the most trouble. The bolt's all rusted, I can't get a good bite on it with a wrench or anything. Tried vice grips but they keep slipping off when I try and tighten them. I can lift the turbo up off the pedestal about an inch, and it will slide up off the exhaust pipe. I'm guessing the exhaust pipe has a flanged end I need to get that brace off.

I'm about ready to take a sawzall to it. Fought with that bolt long enough. Will the engine come out with the turbo attached? I've got the bumper off and when we're ready to pull the engine we can take the hood off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
are you trying to get just the turbo out or whole motor now? The clamps on the exhaust side and uppipe side have to be taken off, spray them with a penetrating lube, and i used a flat head screwdriver to pry them loose, they will pop and you'll know its off. Do that to both, then the turbo will come out.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 PM

might not clear the firewall the turbo aint that hard loosen the up pipes at the manifold and then get that clamp on the up pipes at the tubro and ur set from there
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Govy Magnet

Your going to need to pull the turbo. The manual told you to pull the exhaust at the cat?! That sounds strange to me. I didn't even pull the rear exhaust inlet off the turbo I took the up-pipes off one by one completely they can't just be loose, I thought that was easier, and that involved removing the downpipe (which I cut, and then band-clamped afterward). It is NOT flanged, there is just a good inch of pipe in there...gotta fanangel and wiggle the xxxx out of them to get the pipes up, but it will eventually come up. Little thing that may also be catching is the EBPV...make sure that the clip on the bottom is off (but i'm guessing you already did that). Anyways hope this helps..

~Phil
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can we remove our turbo from the top I hear we need to jack the body
Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 AM

negative. it comes right out is the exhaust stock if so you need to un bolt it to DROP the down pipe off the turbo the you LOOSEN the bolts holding the up pipes to the manifold and remove the clamp holding the baby butt to the turbo then there are the 2 bolts holding it to the pedestal, you should go ahead and remove the intercooler pipes the spyder and you air filter for some room to work also make sure to have a can or two of pb blaster for some tight bolts. if you need further help pm me.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Anyone got pics of this I thin I'm leaking oil from my turbo pedestal o rings and I need to do the same thing pull it it rodents sound to hard but yeah
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM

its always easier said than done it can ba a PITA every truck is a little different. um i think bob over at Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines has the o rigns and on that page theres a link to his help site called guzzle i think he has some pics.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 AM

http://dieselorings.com/docs/PowerMa...structions.pdf
try this for help
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Cost where did u get that its a very good manual thanks alot this will really help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.