Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

servicing tranny, what fluid are you using?

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Reg Bichel 
#1 ·
just picked up my new to me 2002 7.3 auto yesterday...i know the PO did frequent oil changes but im not too sure about everything else..im getting a printout from his mechanic tomorrow but i already ordered a new tranny filter and fuel filter to replace when i get the chance...

just curious what trans fluid everyones using and what you recommend?

#4 ·
Yea, that's what the say Now.......

BUT look in your owners manual, know what they said when they sold that truck? They specifically mention Mercon V, and specifically tell you NOT to use it :doh:

So, What's changed? you might ask.....

Well I know my transmission hasn't changed, we know the formulation of Mercon V hasn't changed, so that kinda leaves only One thing.

FORDS responsibility for taking care of your transmission (under Warranty) and their desire to limit the number of different fluids they have to stock everywhere has certainly changed :wink[3]:

I'm not putting ANYTHING in my, expensive, transmission other than what they told me to when they made it! Dextron-III

#3 ·
the 4R100 was made to run on MDIII so that is what I run, my bud gets it by the 5 gal bucket, so it works for me(chevron stuff)
MV isnt the same standard and has different additives. Just saying..

#5 ·
Yep, I was planning on changing out my tranny fluid in a few weeks so I called ford and they said mercon V.

Picked up a haynes manual last night to assist in replacing turbo and pedestal o-rings, took a looksy in it does not say which to use, but it does say do not use mercon v. so i retract my earlier comment.

gonna call ford next week!

#6 ·
I go over to the Ford dealer and buy the Ford fluid recomended for my '97. I change once a year. 284,000 + miles and same tranny with no issues. I pull 12,000 lbs almost everyday, and a 20' bass boat on the weekends. Then plow snow when the water gets "hard" up here.

#8 · (Edited)
hmm i bought valvoline max life dex/merc and on their website it says it can be used where Mercon and Mercon V are specified..but then they also sell valvoline Dex/Merc where Dex 3 and Mercon are specified...not sure which to use

#9 ·
I put the Valvoline Maxlife Mercon V in my truck a few weeks ago. Working great so far.

#10 ·
Man,dang..... I put this same type post in the transmission section the other day and got 2 replies, Amsoil. I did a search a few days ago and came up with nothing. I just happened to stumble across this one.
Amsoil is great but expensive. Looking like $200 bucks to change trans fluid out.
My second choice is Mobil 1 synthetic, at $8 +, it looks like around $150 for a complete fluid change, 17 quarts, just a filter change is something like 7 quarts $60 +/-

Ford dealer here said the same thing, Mercon V is fine, interesting as the book says DON'T!

#11 ·
screw that, i used a 5gal bucket of MD3 that was $45 bucks...

#13 ·
do you all drain the torque converter also i havent done mine only had the truck 4 months

#14 ·
You should do the torque converter as well. When you drain your pan and change your filter your only draining 7 out of 17 quarts of fluid. The Amsoil website has a nice little set of step by step instructions on how to do that. On their main page look under technical service bullitens,it's on the right side,3/4 way down. I found it when I was researching what fluid I wanted to go with.

#16 ·
On draining that TC you may not have a drain plug, mine didn't. Careful trying to spin it around, I taught the dogs a couple foul words when spinning mine to check for one (luckily the boy and wife were in the house haha). I used NAPA's Mercon V and I'm seeing no troubles with it at all. I flushed mine about a month ago or so.

#18 ·
TRANSMAX 'Z'

G'day Fellas,
I went synthetic a few years ago. The fluid recommended out here in Aussie is Castrol Transmax 'Z' for the 4R100 Trannys.
I flushed the Dino fluid out and have been running the Transmax 'Z' for a few years now. I do a lot of towing and occassional crawling around offroad or slow going on rough roads or belting along the black top. I've never had an issue and will stick with it.
My :twocents: worth.

Cheers,
Reg:beer:

#19 ·
I've never heard of the stuff or seen it in stores... :dunno:

#21 · (Edited)
CASTROL OILS

G'day M8,
Castrol would be one of the top selling most popular supplier of Oils & Lubricants in Australia, SE Asia, The Sub-continent and Europe.
It may not be sold in the US :dunno:

Quote: I've never heard of the stuff or seen it in stores...

Well here ya go:thumb:

Product Description
Castrol Transmax Z
is a fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid with outstanding oxidation and friction stability. It is dyed green for easy identification.
Castrol Transmax Z is a DEXRON III type automatic transmission fluid intended to satisfy all DEXRON III, II E and D requirements.
It helps provide a smooth shift and long life in both passenger car and heavy duty automatic transmissions. Also recommended for power steering systems where automatic transmission fluids are recommended.
Product Application
Castrol Transmax Z is recommended where either DEXRON III, II E or II D fluids are specified.
Castrol Transmax Z has proved most suitable in severe service applications where high temperatures have reduced transmission life. Castrol Transmax Z has been shown to reduce automatic transmission fluid temperatures by up to 20°C in severe duty applications.
Typical applications include:
Heavy duty automatic transmissions with integral retarders.
Transmissions of vehicles used for towing.
Transmission retarders.
Racing application.
Long drain applications.
Ford A4 LD transmissions in taxis and transit vans.
Testing has been carried out in automatic transmissions of passenger cars and buses. Therefore, this product is suitable for both types of automatic transmissions, in particular in cold climates, to improve the
shiftability or under hot/severe conditions for bus transmissions to extend the oil drain interval.

Transmax Z
Extended drain interval in heavy duty automatic transmissions
City and Suburban service 100,000km or 2 years
On-Highway 300,000km or 2 years
For all long drain oil applications, Castrol Labcheck or other oil and wear metal monitoring is required to ensure optimum performance and durability.
NOTE: Castrol Transmax Z is NOT recommended where Ford
M2C-33F or G fluids are specified.
Also recommended for power steering systems and manual transmission applications where DEXRON III or II fluids are specified.
Although Castrol Transmax Z is compatible with conventional mineral DEXRON III or II fluids, its performance is maximised if it is not mixed with these other ATF's.
Very successfully used in drag racing applications in Australia, in
Powerglide to Lenco transmissions, for Super Street to Top Alcohol competitors.
Castrol Transmax Z is approved by Voith, Mercedes Benz and ZF for commercial vehicle applications.
Product Features & Benefits
Castrol Transmax Z shows excellent cold flow performance, very good anti-wear performance, outstanding friction durability and excellent oxidation stability.
Compared to typical mineral DEXRON III type ATF’s Castrol Transmax Z offers the following advantages:
Outstanding resistance to high temperature oxidation - suitable for severe service.
Longer oil drain intervals - lower service costs.
Viscosity stability, i.e. less noise when hot - maintains new oil feel and higher performance.
Better control of deposits - cleaner transmission - longer life.
Castrol Transmax Z shows outstanding friction durability compared to a wide range of mineral automatic transmission fluids and synthetic automatic transmission fluids.
Performance Levels
Dexron III, Dexron II, Dexron, Type A Suffix A.
ZF TE-ML 09, 14, Extended Drain
Mercedes-Benz 236.81
Allison C4
Voith E607

Typical Characteristics
SAE Grade 0W-20 KV @ 400C (cSt) 36KV @ 1000C (cSt) 7.1 cP @ -400C Approx.8400

Cheers,
Reg:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.