08+ tailgate swap between older and newer truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 679
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08+ tailgate swap between older and newer truck?

Hey guys -

My work has a white 08 truck that they are about to send to auction and I was hoping to do a tailgate swap with my '00 F250. I have read how to swap the new tailgate to the older truck (just have to buy a hinge from ford) but I can't find much on making the old tailgate fit on the newer truck. Is this an easy swap in both directions?

What about the tail lights? Easy in both directions?
I'd love to swap mirrors, but that may be a bit much.

Input?

Thanks -
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
Hey guys -

My work has a white 08 truck that they are about to send to auction and I was hoping to do a tailgate swap with my '00 F250. I have read how to swap the new tailgate to the older truck (just have to buy a hinge from ford) but I can't find much on making the old tailgate fit on the newer truck. Is this an easy swap in both directions?

What about the tail lights? Easy in both directions?
I'd love to swap mirrors, but that may be a bit much.

Input?

Thanks -
Scott
Swap the hinges on both trucks and the locks on tailgate.

Tail lights - the 08-up light the backup is on top so your pigtails on your truck need to be longer to swap the lights, I believe the plugs are the same but not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 679
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I won't need to buy a new bracket or hinge if I have both trucks available?
Score!

Hopefully my work allows me to do it, and this will be an awesome upgrade.

As for the taillights, I didn't know it was a direct upgrade until recently, they would probably look good too.

Thanks for the info.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
So I won't need to buy a new bracket or hinge if I have both trucks available?
Score!

Hopefully my work allows me to do it, and this will be an awesome upgrade.

As for the taillights, I didn't know it was a direct upgrade until recently, they would probably look good too.

Thanks for the info.

Scott

You need to remove both brackets from both trucks. They are held on with Torx Bolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 PM
JEL JEL is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stroker View Post
You need to remove both brackets from both trucks. They are held on with Torx Bolts.
Yep T-55 if I remember correctly, I did this recently myself. You will probably need to heat the bolts on the hinges, they are held on with red loctite. You only need to worry about swapping the driver's side hinge between trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 679
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Yep T-55 if I remember correctly, I did this recently myself. You will probably need to heat the bolts on the hinges, they are held on with red loctite. You only need to worry about swapping the driver's side hinge between trucks.
I finally got it done, and man you were not joking about the loctite. It was way harder on the '08 truck, seems the one on my '00 was already taken out once, I just had some minor rust to deal with. I broke my torx 50 several times using a 1/2 ratchet working those bolts out.

Looks great, however it seems to close hard against the rubber stops. I'm not sure I could adjust that out of it or not. It works fine otherwise. I need to look into replacing the black plastic across the top of the tailgate, it's loose on one side. Not sure how that piece goes on and off.

I was going to do the taillights but they are not a direct swap, you have to use the socket from the '08 in the '08 taillight for the reverse lights. I didn't want to cut any wires so I didn't do those or the mirrors.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors