Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wright City, MO
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1. Will I see improvements in MPGs if I take off the visor, It think it needs to be remounted as it makes a lot of noise. I figure it would be just as easy to plug the holes as it would be to remount it.
I'd think it would come up a bit, but probably not much. Either way, the truck will look much better without it.
2. I was thinking of getting a roll up bed cover, any suggestions on them? Do they help with the MPGs
Again, these are big heavy trucks. I didn't notice a huge MPG difference with my tonneau, but it's only been on for the winter months. I'm not a huge fan of the rolling hard top covers either. Friend has a hard retractable tonneau on his Dodge. The rails are constantly sliding around (they're just slipped together) and come out of alignment, causing the cover to get jamed. It also takes up close to 12" of bed space.
3. Would a custom tuner be a good investment? How would it effect the MPGs, drivability, durability, towing
Custom tunes are a great investment, so are gauges. If you can keep your foot out of the go pedal, your mpgs will go up.
4. Any other good mods? Really looking for the best MPGs
Let the truck breathe - intake and exhaust
5. Do I need to worry about plugging it in during the winter months?
Depends on what shape the glow plug system is in. 5w40 oil also helps the cold starts.
6. What oil is preferred (it has Mobil Delvac now) how often should it be changed
This is opening up a can of worms. Just run quality diesel oil, either 15w40 or 5w40. I run 5w40 year round.
7. What fluids are recommended? How often should they be changed? It has the extra capacity pans if it matters
Change the fluids when Ford recommends.
8. Should I use the trans controller it came with? The previous owner had it installed but never used it
What trans controller is on it? Custom tunes wont require you to use the trans controller.
9. I have not pulled with it yet and never have with any SRW, how will it do I pull 5k - 15k all bumper pull. Our F550 and Ram 3500 do great but both are duallies.
I've towed up to 12K bumper pull with mine before. It wasn't as stable as the dually, but it still did good.
10. Anything else I should know?
Good choice on the truck.
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, Few leaves added here and there, 35" BFGs, 16x10 Eagle Alloys, Alpine W200
SLAPS Member #153