New to the 7.3 got some ???s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the 7.3 got some ???s

I recently purchased a 2002 F350 in my signature. The truck has about 81,000 on it and it is very clean. So far I put new tires on it and took off the stacks and took out the diabo and put it to stock. I just have some questions before I do anything else to her.

1. Will I see improvements in MPGs if I take off the visor, It think it needs to be remounted as it makes a lot of noise. I figure it would be just as easy to plug the holes as it would be to remount it.
2. I was thinking of getting a roll up bed cover, any suggestions on them? Do they help with the MPGs
3. Would a custom tuner be a good investment? How would it effect the MPGs, drivability, durability, towing
4. Any other good mods? Really looking for the best MPGs
5. Do I need to worry about plugging it in during the winter months?
6. What oil is preferred (it has Mobil Delvac now) how often should it be changed
7. What fluids are recommended? How often should they be changed? It has the extra capacity pans if it matters
8. Should I use the trans controller it came with? The previous owner had it installed but never used it
9. I have not pulled with it yet and never have with any SRW, how will it do I pull 5k - 15k all bumper pull. Our F550 and Ram 3500 do great but both are duallies.
10. Anything else I should know? Or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1. Will I see improvements in MPGs if I take off the visor, It think it needs to be remounted as it makes a lot of noise. I figure it would be just as easy to plug the holes as it would be to remount it.

I'd think it would come up a bit, but probably not much. Either way, the truck will look much better without it.

2. I was thinking of getting a roll up bed cover, any suggestions on them? Do they help with the MPGs

Again, these are big heavy trucks. I didn't notice a huge MPG difference with my tonneau, but it's only been on for the winter months. I'm not a huge fan of the rolling hard top covers either. Friend has a hard retractable tonneau on his Dodge. The rails are constantly sliding around (they're just slipped together) and come out of alignment, causing the cover to get jamed. It also takes up close to 12" of bed space.

3. Would a custom tuner be a good investment? How would it effect the MPGs, drivability, durability, towing

Custom tunes are a great investment, so are gauges. If you can keep your foot out of the go pedal, your mpgs will go up.

Let the truck breathe - intake and exhaust

5. Do I need to worry about plugging it in during the winter months?

Depends on what shape the glow plug system is in. 5w40 oil also helps the cold starts.

6. What oil is preferred (it has Mobil Delvac now) how often should it be changed

This is opening up a can of worms. Just run quality diesel oil, either 15w40 or 5w40. I run 5w40 year round.

7. What fluids are recommended? How often should they be changed? It has the extra capacity pans if it matters

Change the fluids when Ford recommends.

8. Should I use the trans controller it came with? The previous owner had it installed but never used it

What trans controller is on it? Custom tunes wont require you to use the trans controller.

9. I have not pulled with it yet and never have with any SRW, how will it do I pull 5k - 15k all bumper pull. Our F550 and Ram 3500 do great but both are duallies.

I've towed up to 12K bumper pull with mine before. It wasn't as stable as the dually, but it still did good.

10. Anything else I should know?

Good choice on the truck.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Again, these are big heavy trucks. I didn't notice a huge MPG difference with my tonneau, but it's only been on for the winter months. I'm not a huge fan of the rolling hard top covers either. Friend has a hard retractable tonneau on his Dodge. The rails are constantly sliding around (they're just slipped together) and come out of alignment, causing the cover to get jamed. It also takes up close to 12" of bed space.

Was thinking a soft roll up with the velcro, I never had one one any truck was unsure about how they hold up and if they help the MPGs

Custom tunes are a great investment, so are gauges. If you can keep your foot out of the go pedal, your mpgs will go up.

Any recomendations? Looking at the DP but heard some bad things them, looked at TW but he has yet to answer an email I sent 2 weeks ago, the PHP seems pretty well reviewed but the pretty much guarantee no increase in MPGs while the others do, are they just honest or are they missing something?

Let the truck breathe - intake and exhaust

Already done

What trans controller is on it? Custom tunes wont require you to use the trans controller.

The one Sun Coast offers Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL

10. Anything else I should know?

Good choice on the truck.

Thank you
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an Extang RT on mine... It's the velcro one that rolls up. It's nice, but I bought it used and the velcro is getting worn. If I had to do it again, I would get a folding one from Advantage Truck Accessories. Folding Tonneau Pickup Truck Covers -- Advantage Truck Accessories My mom has a Torza on her Dakota and it's very nice, plus the whole thing can be removed in 30 seconds, without leaving any rails behind like the Extang.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbtmatt View Post
I recently purchased a 2002 F350 in my signature. The truck has about 81,000 on it and it is very clean. So far I put new tires on it and took off the stacks and took out the diabo and put it to stock. I just have some questions before I do anything else to her.

glad you got rid of the stacks I'm not a fan

make sure the plugs seal well mpg wise Maybe a little

Yes I used TW - he always seemed busy when I tried to get in touch with him, but Raul - Stealth Automotive on here is where i got mine from and he was great. You can also use gearhead or PHP or countless others.
intake exhaust, if yo uwant good MPG be very easy with your right foot
5. Do I need to worry about plugging it in during the winter months? depends on where you live and the temps, oil, and gp system
use a good quality oil i use Shell T6
change them according to Ford or if you are anal like I'm do them now so that you know they are done and done right. I think Ford recommends 150K on the transfer case and axles. Use what Ford recommends for specs I use Amsoil.
I've had 16K behind my SRW off the bumper without any problems
Answers in Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.