7.3 Preventative Maitenence - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Preventative Maitenence

Hey Guys,

First off I want to thank everyone for all the info on this thread. I have been a member on here since I got my PSD, around 4 years, and there is some great info on here.

I have an early 99 that just hit 203,000 miles. Over the years I have fixed/replaced/added :
-Leveling Kit and Adjustable Track Bar.
-4" FBD Turbo Back Exhaust
-DIY Intake
-Hypertech Programmer (which I keep on Tow Safe)
-New Starter
-New Starter Solenoid
-Water Pump

I am hoping to get a discussion going about preventative Maintenance for our high mileage rigs. While I don't tow with mine a lot, I take it on weekend trips a lot. I am headed to Utah on a mountain biking road trip in May and for some reason am worried about my truck this time around.

What are good preventative maintenance type of things to do. Ya know, before they go??

I service my Tranny every 30K and have had no issues so far. I flush the coolant while I do the tranny. Other then that I just do the regular oil changes. I use the Delo 10/40w with lucas oil stabilizer and use the lucas fuel injector cleaner as well about every 2000k. Note, my brake pads are fine.

Am I paranoid or should I start replacing things? Below is a list of items that I was thinking might be a good idea.

-New Hubs/Bearing Assembly
-New 4x4 Locking Hubs
-Another Tranny Service
-New Rear Axle wheel Bearings (No idea about how to do this)
-??????

Please let me know what you think, let me know if I should add anything, or if I am just worried because Im getting ready to embark on a 2000 mile road trip that will see some dirt time.

Thanks for your comments, and below are a few shots of the rig.
Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stop using Lucas in your other. Other than that, keep on truckin. Maybe keep some spare fluids or a spare belt with you, but not much you can do to prevent a major break down. If a part is gonna go out, it's either gonna fail without warning or, it'll slowly go out and give you enough notice to fix it.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM

I second stopping the Lucas. Just keep fresh fluids all around and grease all your grease points regularly and you should be good to go. One thing you may want to consider is adding a 6.0 transmission cooler.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 AM

If you don't have aftermarket gauges, get them. the trans & engine temp gauges on the dash are little more than idiot lights. When they go up it all ready too late. 203 is nothing for the 7.3 litre PSD. Mine is at 107 and just getting warmed up and I tow HEAVY!! Ditto on the 6.0 trans cooler, it's 3 times bigger than your stock cooler.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Banned

im at 154k on my early. 6oh trans cooler, gauges, just keep the maint up and your fine.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I believe it's dieselsite that has a 203* thermostat, I recommend getting that instead of using the stock thermostat (it allows our engine to run at a more optimal temperature) http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=186

I also recommend not using Lucas on your engine, I've heard not to use it before from some people on here and also some guys at the local O-O-O-O'Reilyyyyy's!

I thirdly recommend the 6.0 tranny cooler, this is on my list of things to do as well...

Gauges are a must, this is my next purchase (they should be on the way now!)

And lastly, Nitrous... (just kidding)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Also, one more thing... I'm not sure how good everyone's oil is (I've heard good things about Rotella) but I'll only use one oil, and that's Ford's Motorcraft oil for diesels. It's designed (obviously) specifically for our powerstroke engines. You can usually find it at a good price at your local Wally World or O'Reilly's/Autozone/Advanced Auto store
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If your worried about the front bearings going out, take a look at Dynatrac. It's not cheep, but it is a much improved setup that won't drop a wheel when it fails.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

Oil is oil. If it's diesel oil it's all the same. However tho I'm running rotella t6 5w40 syn now.

Mobile
Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM

wheel berings if you like. other than that turn the key and drive! 203k is nothin.

if you pull in the hill or pull much at all upgrade that tranny cooler like the other said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.