Need Opinions ! 2000 F250 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Opinions ! 2000 F250 7.3

Please help a new FORD enthusiast.....

My son has been shopping AND FOUND AN F-250 , I have NO IDEA if this sounds good
OR
What to look out for ,
What type of problems are inherent to a 2000

I am taking it to the ford dealer on Monday and will ask for the Oasis report on the vehicle.

I am not a truck guy ...(yet) neither is he (yet!) , but from what I have read we will be soon!! the 7.3 sound amazing
THESE ARE THE SPECS.

115,000 miles
Power windows, power door locks, $3400 stereo which sounds better than my Mercedes does, 3" lift, 17 in wheels with new BFG's, programable power chip, 5" exhaust, new larger turbo, $1100 camper shell, air bags, $800 Bilstien shocks, Cruise control, AC, Tilt, XLT. It has never been abused. It has never pulled a 5th wheel or gooseneck, it has always been serviced by Ford

The owner says he hasnt programed the Chip .... What does the Chip do ?
He also said he only get 13 miles to the gal . Does that sound right ? I thought these guys got more like 20 ?

PLEASE , Give all your opinions ( we value them most) of the Vehicle its or history or links or EVERYTHING that will help us learn more !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hmm, what was the price of that truck? It sounds like it's a pretty sweet truck.

These trucks aren't really the typical vehicle that has problems specific to a certain year. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I don't believe I have ever heard of there being a "problem year" with the 7.3? They have a reputation in the diesel world of being one of the most reliable trucks out there and have a bulletproof motor. 2000 should have forged rods, even better.

A chip is basically exactly what it sounds like. A small chip that changes how the computer runs the engine. (Depending on what kind of chip, it can also have a positive effect on the transmission shifting characteristics) The main idea behind it is that it will reprogram the computer and call for more fuel to be injected. Some chips claim up to 140 HP gains on the highest setting. (the program itself may call for enough fuel to make 140 HP, but the stock injectors reach their limit before you will see that big of a gain) A gain of 100+ HP is not uncommon though. There is a lot of info on here about chips you could look into if you want to know more.

I have to say I call BS on the guy having never programmed the chip though.... he has a bigger turbo and all these other mods but he has never used the chip. Yeah...... okay.

As for the fuel economy... well that seems to vary a lot between trucks. If there was an average I would guess it would be around 15-16 MPG. I regularly see around 18+. (I am driving a 6 speed though) Oh and I'm guessing with a 3" lift it probably has bigger tires? That will cut into the economy... it also varies based on what gear ratio he has.

There is a guy on youtube known as "powerstrokehelp"
Some guys on here don't agree with everything he has to say in his performance videos (there are some things he says that I don't agree with either) but for the most part he is a knowledgeable guy when it comes to these trucks. He has a video called "how to buy a used powerstroke." It's a pretty long 4 part video. I skimmed through and looked at bits and pieces, and I would have to say it looks like a good video segment to check out - here is part one.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

info

i own a 2000 the truck is a great truck i havnt had any problems out of it!!! the 7.3 is a great motor they will run forever. the fuel millage seems rough but its all in how you drive these trucks i was gettin 16.3 drivin it pretty hard and i got to messin around and was gettin 19.4 in town which to me is good for a truck of that size . my truck is a 6 speed as well so i dont know about the autos.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM

You can't go wrong with a 7.3 PSD. A friend of mine works at a Ford dealer and he says that "you wouldn't believe what people are paying for a thrashed 7.3". Another friend bought a 6.0 new and said that it ran like a turpentined cat until he "had" to take it into the dealer. When it came out it was half the truck he took in. They de-tuned it. Now he's having all kinds of problems with it. He is jealous of my 7.3 In the truck world the 7.3 is the bench mark by which others are scored. You say you're new to diesel truck world. Well, think of a gasser 460 Ford engine vs a 360 cubic inch engine. NO comparison! First thing to do though is to put gauges in it. The temp gauges (coolant and trans)on the dash are little more than idiot lights. They go to midway normal too early and stay there until it's too late. Another must have for a diesel is a pyrometer gauge. It measures exhaust temps. That can kill any diesel if the egts are alowed to go over 1300* for very long. Sounds like a great truck!

Last edited by Bart_3500; 03-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 AM

sounds like a nice truck. i agree with these guys. get is and do the fluid changes, post here, stick around and mod as you wish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.