Anyone done bodymounts? Bad mounts=thud in floor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone done bodymounts? Bad mounts=thud in floor?

Hey I had done a few searches on here looking for what the heck is still making noise under my truck. I found a thread somewhere that someone said they had a bad body mount or two and it made a loud thud under their feet.

Over the past year I have been working away on my truck to try and rid it of this god awful thud/rattle noise that comes up from under my feet. I am at the point that I have a brand new truck suspension wise and it still makes noise.

Has anyone done body mounts on their truck? did it cure noises from under the floor? is this a common problem to have?

I know everyone says "it's the sway bar bushings" but They have been replaced a couple times just for good measure along with the endlinks other things I have changed/replaced in the 1.5 years i've owned the truck is

-PMF 2.5" shackel/hanger kit and 4" block in the rear with all new bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around
-PMF carrier bearing drop bracket
-Adj. track bar
-front leaf springs
-front and rear sway bar bushings and end links
-steering stabilizer
-upper and lower ball joints
-inner and outter tie rods (all new drag link)
-All new brakes front/rear (rotors/pads and even the hardware using ceramic lube on all the pins)
-New wheel bearing/assembley along with warn locking hubs
-Replaced every U-joint on the truck and had the front shaft rebuilt and rebalanced
-triple disk billet torque converter w/ transgo shiftkit
-6637 air filter and a TW chip
-Wheels/tires

I have retorqued just about everything on the truck, the truck rides smooth and nice down the road and tracks perfectly strait but I constantly hear this popping/thump/hollow crack sound and it drives me insane. it's only when i'm going down bumpy sections of road too (mind you I live in michigan and our roads are garbage!) and when I have friends bounce on my bumpers while the truck is parked it is quiet as a mouse

Holy crap long read there sorry (I just wanted to rule out that I think i've changed/replace/checked just about everything obvious), Anyone done body mounts and experience a cure in noise under your feet?

Anyone know where I can get some body mounts that are better than stock? (poly/energy suspension maybe?)

Thanks for any ideas/info, Maybe I just need to buy a FOR SALE sign

-Matt Zimmerman

Last edited by SS4Matt; 03-26-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I like to party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Edit: I didn't read the whole list of things you replaced. Nevermind, probably not the problem.

Could it be needle bearings? Mine made a noise over bumps, although it was pretty easy to tell it was coming from the axle area. I found a video that shows the problem and what it sounds like. The noise in the video is what it sounds like every time you go over a bump. If it seems like the same sound, I suggest you check out the front hub / dust seal / needle bearing assembly.

Last edited by Demo250; 03-27-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo250 View Post
Edit: I didn't read the whole list of things you replaced. Nevermind, probably not the problem.

Could it be needle bearings? Mine made a noise over bumps, although it was pretty easy to tell it was coming from the axle area. I found a video that shows the problem and what it sounds like. The noise in the video is what it sounds like very time you go over a bump. If it seems like the same sound, I suggest you check out the front hub / dust seal / needle bearing assembly.

YouTube - Ford f250 front axle play... is this bad?
man I hope that's not the problem, I just replaced them last summer. I don't believe there is any play in it like that, but i'll pull the warn hubs off tomorrow and give the axle a wiggle.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Matt View Post
man I hope that's not the problem, I just replaced them last summer. I don't believe there is any play in it like that, but i'll pull the warn hubs off tomorrow and give the axle a wiggle.
Yeah man, hopefully not. Let us know how it goes... if that isn't the problem maybe someone else will have some insight.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No need to pull the Warns off, just turn your wheel, and stick your head in there. Grab the knuckle and see how much play it has in it. If you just replaced them a year ago, there shouldn't be much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.