Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Could be a dumb question but hear me out

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  the1laf 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been reading a lot of issues with track bars and leveling kits.

Why do our trucks need track bars? I know the coil spring front ends have to have them to keep the axle in place but why is there a need with a leaf spring front suspension that is a rigid mount?

This is why I ask. Semi's don't have them, school buses don't have them, delivery trucks don't have them etc. They are all solid axle, leaf sprung with a lot greater GVW than our trucks have.

Are the shackle bushing not rigid enough to aviod side to side movement?

#4 ·
ya i heard the same when you go up its better to get an adjustable trac bar to center your axle up and keep kit centered thru rough conditions, but stock im not sure im planning on a re arch on my springs and make some adj. trac bars for the front end just for the piece of mind after what i put my truck thru i know my axle will be centered.

#5 ·
I can see the driveline alignment but what I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on is the track bar only works at ride height.

During suspension movement it's either trying to push or pull the axle one way or another. I've read up to 3/4 of an inch for 2 inches of travel.

I started thinking about this because my track bar is starting to make noise. 63K is pretty weak IMO for the life of a track bar.

#6 ·
wait you only have 63k on the clock!?
nice

#7 ·
Almost 64 now but who's counting. :woot: My dad bought the truck in 2003 with 12k on it. He is an old farmer that took fantastic care of the truck so when he mentioned he wanted to sell it I sold off everything but my wife so I could buy it! :hehe: I know trucks like that don't come around very often.

#8 ·
so your saying your trac bar pushes your axle as your seuspension flexes? i mean a solid bar attached to a solid mounted axle and frame going up and down that makes perfect sense. then why would anyone ever want or need a trac bar for the front end of a leaf spring truck??

#9 ·
I know I’m confusing myself here!

The leaf spring suspension is designed to go straight up and down. When there is a track bar attached to the frame and axle it can’t allow for straight movement. As the suspension raises it pulls the suspension towards the driver’s side, as it compresses it pushes it towards the passengers side.

My Jeep has coil suspension all the way around which requires front and rear track bars. The linkage in the axle allows the axle to shift when the suspension compresses or extends. When strapping it down tight to the trailer you can really see this. The front axle pulls to the drivers side and the rear axle pulls to the passenger.

So if it needs to be there for stability on a SD, is there a manufacturer that makes on that will last longer than stock?

#14 ·
Well I tend to side on caution and wasn't about to go remove and see what happens. Good to know :nod: Is there such a thing as a adjustable track bar that will go from stock to + 4"? I can't handle the thud much longer but can't afford to go with a leveling kit at the moment. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it when I do upgrade to a leveling kit.

#11 ·
cary i know you offer front trac bars how much is your set and will it hold up to the constant push and pull of our SD's? and whats the downside effect of having the bar do you loose suspension flex? could having an aftermarket trac bar hurt anything? now im confused lol:dunno:

#13 ·
it makes sense needing a bar but do the stockers do enough? how much are those icon bars? im planning on an add a leaf 1.5 just to regain stock height after the bumper.and upgraded bars would be nice and look cool. im hard on my truck :woot:

#16 ·
If your looking for more info on why, check out either the superlift or skyjacker website... One of them had several pages one explaining the importance of keeping everything aligned just right... sounds like the question is answered though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.