p1211 at heavy acceleration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p1211 at heavy acceleration

Hey guys I just got my 7.3 excursion last month. This site has been very useful to me so I thought I'd bring this issue here also. My Excursion (03) was chipped by the previous owner and runs great, I have no complaints. Most of the time I drive like a grandpa but the times when I hammer it to the floor my CEL comes on throwing code p1211.

I've done research on the site using the search button and come up with a bunch of threads, but few with a solution. Any suggestions for fixes would be appreciated. Oh and when I clear the code it stays off until I accelerate heavily again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM

found this...

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...rstroke-diesel

i would check your oil level, maybe clean your IPR. do you have or know someone with access to AutoEnginuity?

could be a number of things, ICP going out, IPR ditry or dieing, weak hpop, low oil, etc. id start with the easy first.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's what I've got, but see if it goes away without the chip before you go crazy trying to fix it

P1211{1}{3}-ICP Pressure Uncontrollable, Pressure Above/Below Desired

from the "Dieslemans Site under Tech Info"

Loss of power, usually after a hard acceleration; Rough idle; Check engine light comes on, DTC P1211:

Intermittent high pressure oil leakage.
This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is cold and the oil is thick. When performing a hard acceleration, the truck suddenly looses power, the check engine light comes on, and once returning to idle the engine runs rough and won't accelerate. Cycling the key may correct the concern, clearing the code from the PCM will correct it temporarily. If you can monitor data stream, at idle the ICP pressure normally is 400-700 PSI and the IPR duty cycle is 9-14%; at cruise, ICP is 700-1200 pSI and IPR is 15-20%; under normal acceleration, ICP is 1200-2000 PSI and IPR is 20-30%; and under WOT accel, the ICP is up to 3600 PSI and the IPR is 35% or higher. When the above symptom occurs, typically the idle ICP reading will be normal, but the IPR duty cycle will be high--over 20% and up to the max 50%. A "blow-by" condition has occured somewhere in the HP oil circuit. If you can get the problem to re-occur with some frequency, the most probable cause is worn or deteriorated injector or IPR o-rings. If the problem is intermittent, it could be a sticking IPR valve. Replace the injector o-rings with the latest-level kits--F8TZ-9229-AA. When replacing the IPR, make sure you get the correct part for the build date/serial number of your engine.

AND

A P1211 can be related to several things, not just a chip. Some examples are...

1. Weak HPOP (Extremely common in high-milers)
2. Clogged screen (Also pretty common in poorly maintained vehicles)
3. Leaking ICP sensor (Causes ICP to read lower than expected)
4. Weak IPR solenoid (Difficulty maintaining ICP)
5. Stuck IPR valve (Causes excessive ICP)
6. Excessive Pulsewidth in chip calibration (Very common with aggressive tuning)
7. Inadequate IPR control in chip calibration (Also very common in aggressive tuning)

P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel
Owners report trouble codes P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel along with skipping or misfire symptoms. Install a scan tool to read the “duty cycle” specs for the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) and the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor. The high pressure oil pump is capable of putting out more than 3,000psi. But the IPR regulates the amount of pressure with a solenoid that is pulsed open and closed by the PCM. The PCM reads the oil pressure from the ICP and commands the IPR on and off. The IPR can regulate 3,000psi with only a 12% duty cycle. So you should check both the ICP and IPR readings on the scan tool. If the psi reading on the ICP goes up while the IPR duty cycle goes down (12% or lower), that indicates a faulty or sticking IPR. The reason is that the PCM can no longer shut down the duty cycle enough to properly regulate the oil pressure. The IPR has a reasonably high failure rate.

Last edited by NoRalPh; 03-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks!

This is the same information that I have been able to gather so far problem is I have none of the other symptoms included like rough idle and loss of power.

Thats why I'm so lost with this issue
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Here's what I've got, but see if it goes away without the chip before you go crazy trying to fix it

A P1211 can be related to several things, not just a chip. Some examples are...

1. Weak HPOP (Extremely common in high-milers)
2. Clogged screen (Also pretty common in poorly maintained vehicles)
3. Leaking ICP sensor (Causes ICP to read lower than expected)
4. Weak IPR solenoid (Difficulty maintaining ICP)
5. Stuck IPR valve (Causes excessive ICP)
6. Excessive Pulsewidth in chip calibration (Very common with aggressive tuning)
7. Inadequate IPR control in chip calibration (Also very common in aggressive tuning)

P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel
Owners report trouble codes P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel along with skipping or misfire symptoms. Install a scan tool to read the “duty cycle” specs for the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) and the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor. The high pressure oil pump is capable of putting out more than 3,000psi. But the IPR regulates the amount of pressure with a solenoid that is pulsed open and closed by the PCM. The PCM reads the oil pressure from the ICP and commands the IPR on and off. The IPR can regulate 3,000psi with only a 12% duty cycle. So you should check both the ICP and IPR readings on the scan tool. If the psi reading on the ICP goes up while the IPR duty cycle goes down (12% or lower), that indicates a faulty or sticking IPR. The reason is that the PCM can no longer shut down the duty cycle enough to properly regulate the oil pressure. The IPR has a reasonably high failure rate.
So in order to check the screen I need to remove the hpop correct? Should I go ahead and replace the hpop o-rings and gasket when I do this?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've done plenty or wrenching but all gas engines previously.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

iirc, to check the screen all you need to do is pull the IPR. note that some IPR's didnt have screens, and its possible that it could have been repalced with a non-screen IPR. someone check me on this? ive fortuantly never had to pull my IPR.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM

it means that your tuner is calling for more pressure than the system can handle or produce IIRC. See if it does it without the chip before you start tearing anything apart
Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Alright thanks guys. I have read similar things while searching the web, seems that my hpop just isn't cutting it. Like I said before as long as I don't hammer the throttle its fine so i think I'll just let it go until I feel the need to drop the money on an adrenaline hpop.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if the hpop is not strong enough the ipr cycle should go way high, I think? Wouldn't it?
Do you have a way to check the percentage at wot and idle etc?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

no I don't have a way to check it currently.
The Following User Says Thank You to looking4psd For This Useful Post:
273335 (04-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.