Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

to smoke...or not to smoke???

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Joined last week and have been reading all the tech info I can within the forums. I just bought a nice 2000 F-350 4x4 7.3l w/111,000 mi from a retired horse vet who used it as his personal truck. A super chip tuner/programmer came with it and was set on "perf tow", which is a setting for towing less than 6000 lbs. I reprogrammed it to the "high perf" settting for now until I'm ready to pull our fifth wheel camper. Thinking the horse doctor babied the truck, I took it out for a hard run after I reset the program and it smoked some, but not what I would say excessively. Reading some of the comments by other members it seems that heavy smoke is a good thing. This is my first diesel and I love the power it puts out, but I'm confused as to what heavy smoke really represents. Any guidance is appreciated.:confused:

#2 ·
Heavy smoke is over fueling. It's not nessesaraly a GOOD thing, though it's not really bad either. Smoke equals unburnt fuel, and lower MPGs, and higher EGTs. Smoke is more of a novelty for 99% of diesel owners who have tuned their trucks. You WILL see the guys that have drag trucks or pulling trucks that smoke A LOT! Expecially on take-off. When the turbo gets spinning, the smoke with clear up. It's a great way to keep a tailgater at bay though!

For the average guy, sooting is fun, a little wasteful, but harmless.

#3 ·
Got it. Thanks a ton!!!

#4 · (Edited)
Yup... If I lug mine you cant see headlights behind me... but once the turbo lights it cleans up to a nice haze.

#6 ·
When you notice your truck smoking more than normal, it's time to clean or replace the air filter.

#8 ·
Lets just say there have been letters send...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.