Royal Purple - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Royal Purple

Hey guys its time to change the oil again. I was wondering if anyone had any info on using royal purple in the 7.3 good/bad etc. may be some of you have used this. And also i hear they have come out with filters now. Any info would be great.

For my second question i have a "vibration" or a wobbly feeling coming from the front end of my truck. I'm thinking bearings on the front end. let me know what you guys think or if you need more info. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Check all your tie rods , ball joints etc while tires are on the ground and off the ground . Any looseness will cause a vibration. Wheel balance ? How many miles on the truck , what size and make of tire? Lifted? Steering damper will only help to mask the problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Royal Purple seems to garner some mixed reviews on the various diesel truck forums, so I just stick with what I know brings in lots of positive feedback. Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 TDT seem to be two of the most popular and well-liked synthetic diesel oils, with Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 full synthetic getting a lot of praise as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM

No one i know uses Royal Purple. I personally use Shell Rotella 5w40 syn. and love it. I use the o99 amsoil spin on filters. I change the filter and oil every 10K been going like that since the syn rotella came out.
Other friends use Mobil and amsoil with no problems either. The one running amsoil is going 25k on oil changes. I'm not interested in that long of a change interval. Makes me nervous. I like fresh oil. 10k works for me. Everyone has their own thoughts. these are epople I know and what works for them. lots of guys still run rotella 15w40 and go every 3k with motorcraft or wix filters.

As for the vibration we need more info on the truck. I just rebuilt the whole front at 175K from axle seals, hubs, brakes, rotors, calipers, u-joints, sway bar links, rod ends, ball joints, brake lines, shocks, alignment, and all brake components on the back also including new crossover brake lines. basically everything that could wear out I replaced. had the local shop do it. about $1500. Truck drives like new now.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

125,000 miles on the truck, 295/75/16 nitto terra grapplers, super springs in the rear...level kit in the front...i did change out the steering stabilizer acouple of months ago, the other one was completely shot...and about 2 weeks ago i had all the bearings and shims in the rearend replaced...bad howl before now its quiet and i can hear the front end of the truck. as far as the oil is concerned Tdeal823 whats the difference in regular 15w40 and 5w40 synthetic. i thought you had to use the same like 15w40 regular or synthetic...
Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfire344 View Post
125,000 miles on the truck, 295/75/16 nitto terra grapplers, super springs in the rear...level kit in the front...i did change out the steering stabilizer acouple of months ago, the other one was completely shot...and about 2 weeks ago i had all the bearings and shims in the rearend replaced...bad howl before now its quiet and i can hear the front end of the truck. as far as the oil is concerned Tdeal823 whats the difference in regular 15w40 and 5w40 synthetic. i thought you had to use the same like 15w40 regular or synthetic...
Hey as far as the front end wobble i just replace 2 bearins both went out grrrr the outer bearing went out on the passanger side and inner went out on the driver side its easy to tell jack the front end up pull both tires and see if you can wiggle the outer bearing if not grab the inner 4 wheel drive shaft and see if they wiggle if both are solid then most likely not the bearings.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfire344 View Post
Tdeal823 whats the difference in regular 15w40 and 5w40 synthetic. i thought you had to use the same like 15w40 regular or synthetic...
Oil is a big subject on the diesel forums. and is always a debated topic.
Here I go.
Im not a pro or could be proven wrong.
With conventional oil or (Dino) you are limited in viscosity range. In colder temps like here in ohio. In the winter the dino oil guys switch to 10w30 then when summer come switch back to 15w40.
With Synthetics wider viscosity ranges are available. There are still the standard 10w30 and 15w40 however I have seen 0w30, 0w40 and 5w40
So Since I go 10k on a change I prefer the "all season" oil for ease. there is alot to but read about just the ratings and viscosities of oil. Read up. Im sure someone will point you to the threads about oil. As for me I run shell rotella 5w40 in all the equipment I have. I have never had a problem. I always use the OEM filter or high grade after-market (WIX AMSOIL) filters.
look around the stores near you and see what avalable on the shelf. My local Farm and Fleet store stocks AMSOIL and WIX filters for most popular equipment. So its easy to grab a good filter. and they stock rotella 5w40 for $19 a gallon
Everyone has their own thoughts, and these are mine.
good luck
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Don't waste your money on Royal Purple, it doesn't hold it's viscosity any better than Dino oil. Might as well buy motorcraft or rotella.

If you want a GREAT, extended service oil, go with AMSOIL, best synthetic out there.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Yep. I like running the 5w40 amsoil myself. I do not know anything about royal purple and how it holds up, but I have seen independent tests on Amsoil being run in the Navistar DT466E in medium duty trucks. I think this is a decent comparison to the 7.3 since it's got HEUI and whatnot. Did great, held up better than Rotella T6, Delo 400, Delvac 1, and Valvoline. Stayed in grade up to 370 hours, also stayed up in additive retention. The other oils that kept up in grade did the poorest in additive retention, and the oils that kept up with additive retention did the worst at staying in grade. As I started out, I have no idea about Royal Purple.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Tek9Tim
What are your oil change intervals? You using the o99 spin on filter or the whole bypass system?
Thanks.
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.