Brake rotors warped after 6,000 miles… What rotors are the good ones? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake rotors warped after 6,000 miles… What rotors are the good ones?

The post says it all did the brakes on the truck over the summer with new rotors and pads from Pep Boys. Rotors are pro-stop which was the only ones they carried and I bought the best quality brake pads they had.

I have a 1 year warranty on the rotors and lifetime warranty on the pads… Well with only 6,000 miles these rotors are toast… Truck shakes like crazy when hitting the brakes slowing down. Slower than 20mph the truck doesn’t shake.

Long story short, I am going to try and get them warrantied and upgrade the parts to something else.

What kind of brake rotors do you guys recommend? I am not going to waste my time putting the same junk back on there.

Truck is a 2000 4x4 Excursion and I plan on towing a 10,000lb travel trailer next summer.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i get mine from brake labs on ebay, sloted and drilled, with ceramic pads, $300 out the door, they wont warp, really good product, i use him for all my brakes now, warranty too
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I doubt they're really warped though.....

In fact, double-sided finned rotors are almost impossible to actually Warp.

More likely what's happened has to do with the braking surface of the rotor. It's got material stuck to it that grips & slips unevenly giving you that "warped" feeling by shaking & pulsating as the pads put pressure on that inconsistent surface.

If PepBoys won't replace them I'd bet if you took some 80 grit paper and a DA and gave both sides a good going-over to renew the surfaces you'd get your smooth braking back
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM

take a look at your rotors, you might be able to see heat spots, kinda looks like a dart board, that will also give you a vibration felling when braking, i've seen this on my neighbors excursion, and my f-350, seems that the oem rotors cant take the heat of these big boys, switch to drilled and sloted ones, you'll be a happy camper
Old 03-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

More likely what's happened has to do with the braking surface of the rotor. It's got material stuck to it that grips & slips unevenly giving you that "warped" feeling by shaking & pulsating as the pads put pressure on that inconsistent surface.

If PepBoys won't replace them I'd bet if you took some 80 grit paper and a DA and gave both sides a good going-over to renew the surfaces you'd get your smooth braking back
Well I talked to the boys at pepboys and their 1 year warranty was an absolute joke... Come to find out it was a 1 year warranty on manufacuters defects which really isn't a warranty at all. I will take the advise on sanding the rotors a little and see what happens. Thanks NoRalPh I don't have nothing to loose. It just really ticks me off after spending $250 bucks for a brake job and 6,000 miles later I have to do this. I would of rather spent an extra $150 bucks ($400 total) and not touch them for 50,000 miles. The cheap rotors are not saving me any money. I am only mad at myself for not being educated enough to know that I should of asked questions about the higher quality more expensive parts.

Live and learn. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Here's a question,how do you wash your truck when it's cold outside?

Cold weather can have an effect in some cases.

Last edited by icysmooth; 03-25-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I only run Ford rotors and pads . Never had one issue .
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:

Double sided rotors warp all the time. However once they warp they end up wearing a thickness variation into the face of the rotor and this is what you actually feel during braking. The pad wears on the high spots, skipping over the low spots and works on wearing the high points down making it thinner in certain spots.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Pep boys sucks.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:

Mine are warped every 6 months or so Put a straight edge on them and you will see.

This topic came up a year or so back and a couple of guys do what I have to do (which is no big deal to me) AutoZone has a 3 year warranty on their rotors and lifetime on the pads. I have had my truck for 6 yrs and have bought a set of rotors twice. Now I do exchange my rotors atleast twice a year, but I don't mind doing the brakes. The hardest and most time consuming part is jacking the truck up and removing the tires.

I do have 20" wheels and 37" tires along with towing a 14' landscape trailer with no brakes behind my truck every day, so that is obviously pushing my rotors past their limit, but as long as I am not throwing away money everytime I do it, I'm cool with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.