can a TC knock? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
can a TC knock?

When I first got my truck i replaced the tc with one from ebay. Its got the billet cover but its a single disc. The guy said it was heavy duty enough. I doubt it.,
Any way not being a triple disc i would not get the marbles in a can sound when its worn out singles dont do that. I have a knock. Anyone know if a converter can knock? One guy i called today said they can, especially a single disc. He said the stater sits on 2 plastic parts that most people reuse original when redoing a tc. He said he uses something else then timken bearings so it wont ever knock from the stator.
I have no idea what the stator is. Can someone confirm if a tc can knock.
I know diesels make all sorts of sounds I am using a stethascope(spelling) the knock i am chasing is loudest at the bellhousing inspection plate area.
Its not the flexplate or loose bolts. i just replaced that today. The manifolds are loud too and banging. But they are all the same. All 8 areas at the exhaust manifolds. My wifes 99 is the same too noise at exhaust and valve covers.
any clue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine has a rattleing noise at 1500rpm, so Im pretty sure my tc is going south, but not sure on a knock sound, can you post a vid?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM

the guy today told me the triple discs rattle whn they are gettin loose. I have heard that. The rattle is from ther 3 discs. I onloy have one so it sounds like a clack clack clack. I have a vi on my phone but have no idea how to download it. I ran it today with the trans off. Just the flexplate. I am90 percent sure it was not making the noise. I might have to back the trans up an inch and listen again beforei spend the coin on a tc.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 AM

anyone????
Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a knock from a torque converter , hmmm doubtful , mostly what ive heard is the rattle at idle that goes away when come off idle , but im not gonna say it wont knock , wierder things have happened , thats one reason i dont answer alot of questions on here anymore , seems like every answer always starts a debate and i dont debate , too many people that think they know what they are talking about
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM

I bouht a converter that was too cheap. No way could there have been parts in it worth anything for the small amoun I paid. I certainly dont have your knowedge on these trucks. One guy mentioned the plastic thrust washers on the stater ca cause end play and a knock. The torrington bearings would fix it. I kinow my TC is a piece of crap.
I can say for a fact that the noise is loudest at the bell housing, cause my scope verifies it. I put the scope on my wifes 99 tuck its noisy in all the same areas but the bang on the tc area is not there onb hers. I am no expert on the trans or the pump or any shafts in there.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque concerter knock

Mine is knocking, I thought a rod was going in my new motor but I got underneath and used a section of hose as a stethoscope and the motor and pan sounded great, the flywheel area sounded good but when I got to the torque converter it clearly had a knock. I had the inspection cover off when I was doing the test. I searched the internet looking for some more information on this but found little information. I am just saving for a new transmission to replace it all. I didn't think it would be smart to replace the converter after it sent trash through the rest of the transmission, only to contaminate the new one.

Thanks for helping me by posting your problem!

Paul
Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM

i am not glad you are having the same issues but i truly believe the knock or loud tick is from this. I was told too theres platic in the inserts for the end caps or something. Not bearings. That and plastic thrust washers on the stater
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have a bad azz rattle on mine
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

wish mine rattled, then i would know for sure what it was
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.