Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dually Tires?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  EArmsF350 
#1 ·
ok guys, 1st dually, front tires are like new, back are well worn, do you have to get all 4 at the same time or can you replace like the outers or inners first then later the other 2, factory sizes say 235 75 16, however it has 265 75 16's on it now, in doing some prelim shopping noticed that 285 75 16's have a higher load rating, would they work on the back or is there a rubbing issue between the tires that i should worry about?

#2 ·
when i was shopping for tires, i looked into larger tires. some said there would be rubbing issues with the 285s and spacers would be needed, other said no. i went with the stock 235s. later i saw a dually with 285s and they were close but i couldnt see any rubbing on the tires. i was told he tows a lot also....

#3 ·
I wont comment on what size to go with , but as far as replacing them youll want to replace all 4 of them at once. Partially because youll start a constant cycle of replacing 2 tires at a time here and there (not to mention the front 2 that are on a different mileage yet) plus the difference in wear will make one set of tires more suceptible to have belt issues depending on how far you let them go. If they are down bad enough that you are considering changing them out how far are you willing to let the two worn ones you leave on it go?

My old man told me when I started driving that good tires were cheap insurance and I live by that.....

Jim

#4 ·
285's will work, but that is the limit you want to go. and all 4 cause the diffrence in trad depth when loaded will make the new ones carry most/all of the weight and have a chance of blowing. with that being said as far as safty goes.....I have 4 diffrent tires on the back of mine and hauls just fine.....but I dont recomend it as far as "safty" goes.

#5 ·
Here is something to think about. If you run 265's you will have the chance of the sidewalls rubbing while under load. More likely if you run lower air pressure. If you run a 10 ply which I would recommend, I would run the maximum psi at 80 to keep your tires standing tall, if you run a 265. If you stick with the 235's you can run as low as 50-55 psi in a 10 ply. First you will have a smoother ride and second you will keep a more even footprint on the ground and the rear tires will last alot longer since you are not carrying much weight empty. If you think about dual wheels and turning, the outside tire will spin faster than the inside while turning. Most people will say dont rotate, it doesnt make a differance. Thats fine but it depends on how much money you have to throw at tires every 8 months. Keep your tires rotated and air pressure checked and you will see your dual wheeled trucks tires last longer. These 7.3's are heavy and I wouldn't run any less than 65 psi on the steering tires. I would shy away from oversized tires on a dual wheeled truck if you plan on hauling much weight unless you spend the $300 to own a pair of the hudsentric(sp?) dual wheel spacers. Dont buy some cheap set, look at the dually section on this forum and see what they say. Hope this helps a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.