Getting ready to do the 'muffler delete' - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting ready to do the 'muffler delete'

I've decided to do the MD on my stock 01' exhaust. If it's too raw sounding I'll put a Walker BTM on.

I know to unclamp the S pipe upstream and cut it off where it goes into the stock muffler and rotate it 180 dergrees but what I need to know is what is the exact length of the new straight section and does it need to be bell'd or flared on both ends and I know it sounds like a stupid question but what is the exact inside diameter of the bell, 3.5? Can it be clamped or does it have to be welded?

I want to have a muffler shop install it and want to show up with the exact fitting pipe so a simple, thirty minute job doesn't turn a more expensive project filled with excuses why my pipe won't work and why I need to buy one of theirs for x2 the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

dude get a piece of flex if ur straight pipein it. im sure thats what everyone does well i know i did when i first got my rig.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerstroker View Post
dude get a piece of flex if ur straight pipein it. im sure thats what everyone does well i know i did when i first got my rig.
I was thinking of doing that as a temporary but didn't know how well/long it would hold up. Plus I thought it was kinda Obamarigged.

Did you run it permanently and did you just clamp it? What size did you use as I'm not sure 3.5 would fit over the stock pipe. I don't mean to sound helpless but I really want to just crawl under there once without having to run back to the auto parts with my muffler missing.

Last edited by catman 3; 03-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

well im still running flex pipe its been about 3 1/2 years. im sure ur exhaust is 4in so get 4in flex pipe . wait are u straight pipen it?? or are u puttin a diff muffler on? im not sure on clamps i know one side is 4in and the other is a little bigger to go over the flex. dont do welding on it bc alot of the time it leaks or burns through and looks like crap.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
well im still running flex pipe its been about 3 1/2 years. im sure ur exhaust is 4in so get 4in flex pipe . wait are u straight pipen it?? or are u puttin a diff muffler on? im not sure on clamps i know one side is 4in and the other is a little bigger to go over the flex. dont do welding on it bc alot of the time it leaks or burns through and looks like crap.
Yeah, I'm straight piping it. No more muffler. Yours is a 00', mine's an 01' so I'm sure we have the same size exhaust. So it should be 4" to 4", sliding the flex over the stock on each end? If you didn't clamp it and don't like welding it how did you secure your's?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 PM

99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

This is what I did. Was done in about 20-30 minutes. I got the clamps to then ended up having a buddy weld it.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

i clamped mine sorry. yea it takes 20 mins to do and like 8 bucks for the flex easy and cheap upgrade.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01whitey24 View Post
99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

This is what I did. Was done in about 20-30 minutes. I got the clamps to then ended up having a buddy weld it.
why spend 65 bucks when u can spend 8 bucks for flex. the only way to see the exhaust is by climbing underneath ur truck. so the look of the flex aint gonna matter. u would be a fool to spend more than 8 bucks straight pipein ur truck
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
why spend 65 bucks when u can spend 8 bucks for flex. the only way to see the exhaust is by climbing underneath ur truck. so the look of the flex aint gonna matter. u would be a fool to spend more than 8 bucks straight pipein ur truck
Thanks man. With it's DIY 6637 intake, hopefully by this time tomorrow my truck is going to breath better and sound as tuff and nasty as it looks.

Then I turn it over to the pro's, 3" dr/Icon leveling kit, gauges, tune.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

if u aint gonna buy a 38r buy the wicked wheel its a mean a.. upgrade. i love the sound of my turbo. plus it got rid of all my turbo surge. u plan on getting a custom burned chip?? with the ww at about 7 pounds of boost and then lay into it u can really here that baby whistle. that ww is 75 bucks at xtremediesel.com. if u do plan on getting that wheel make sure u do the foil delete. take the intercooler pipe off and take all that foil off make sure u wear gloves that crap is sharp as a razor. im bored so im just rambling haha so ur truck is completely stock right now??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.