EGT fitting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT fitting

Some how i lost the tap style fitting for my egt gauge.I have my probe hooked up after the turbo but im about to install a new mbrp exhaust but i want to my probe to before turbo.I have a brass 1/4 compresion with 3/8 npt and the center has been drilled out to 1/4 already.My question is,is it ok to use brass since it melts at 1700*F and i want to mount it on the drivers side manny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
Some how i lost the tap style fitting for my egt gauge.I have my probe hooked up after the turbo but im about to install a new mbrp exhaust but i want to my probe to before turbo.I have a brass 1/4 compresion with 3/8 npt and the center has been drilled out to 1/4 already.My question is,is it ok to use brass since it melts at 1700*F and i want to mount it on the drivers side manny.
I would not use brass...chances are it won't get that hot.... (Over 1300 will kill it) but you never know.

The EGT probe really should be on the manifold.... its really not that hard to install, and you'll get a better reading. I can send pics if you want, in the mean time here is a link... (let me find it...)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Gauge Installations at DieselManor- 1999-2003 7.3L Powerstroke

The Diesel Garage - A Performance Diesel Site
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
I would not use brass...chances are it won't get that hot.... (Over 1300 will kill it) but you never know.

The EGT probe really should be on the manifold.... its really not that hard to install, and you'll get a better reading. I can send pics if you want, in the mean time here is a link... (let me find it...)
The 2ed url u posted showed a brass fitting and that showed the place i want to put it
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
The 2ed url u posted showed a brass fitting and that showed the place i want to put it
Lol, I never said you couldn't... I just said I wouldnt.... I don't think it's a good idea to mix 2 different metals like that... they expand at different rates anc could cause it to loosen or whatnot.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Lol, I never said you couldn't... I just said I wouldnt.... I don't think it's a good idea to mix 2 different metals like that... they expand at different rates anc could cause it to loosen or whatnot.
On that note. I live in Michigan. I sent a truck to Florida in December for a cooling test. I pre-ported the exhaust which is stainless, and installed a copper 1/8 NPT pipe plug in it port thinking I could easily swap in a thermocouple when I arrived to do the testing. WRONG! From the salt and heat cycles in 1200 miles the plug broke off instantly when I tried to remove it. Granted copper is soft and could easily be drilled out but access is another thing. I would use similar metals.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM

^ hmmmm that's not good since copper has a higher melting point than brass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.