ESOF vs Manual 4x4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ESOF vs Manual 4x4 questions

Can i put manual lock/free hubs on a truck that has ESOF with the auto hubs? I heard the ESOF isn't that bad just the vacuum lines and pump system that fails? I don't care about having to get out of the truck to turn the hubs i just want something reliable without doing alot of mainentence on the system. i will be using the truck for work and plowing and it will be offroad at jobsites....i would rather have the manual 4x4 but i found a nice truck with the ESOF. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM

I had the esof hubs on my truck and the platic dial cracked and it wouldnt go in to 4 wheel rather then buy new ones i went with the mile marker manual locking hubs by far one of the best investments ive spent on the truck
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 f250 View Post
I had the esof hubs on my truck and the platic dial cracked and it wouldnt go in to 4 wheel rather then buy new ones i went with the mile marker manual locking hubs by far one of the best investments ive spent on the truck
and those have lock/free? if so how much and where did you get them? hard install?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Replaceing the hubs with a quality set of Warn lockout hubs will elliminate any issues with the vac system and hubs... the electronic shifter on the transfer case is a little slower than a lever on the floor, but works well enough. Friend of mine had this set up, worked well for him. I wouldn't let that one issue keep you from buying the truck, but I am glad both of mine, and the 2 my friend has are all the good ol' lever type...

I would trace the vac line back to where you could plug/cap it off, to eliminate any chace of leaks in the lines...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I put the warn lockouts on my truck. You can literally change them both out in less than ten minutes once you know where the parts go. Very easy to do. I am having some weird issues with my hubs though. I kept my autos cause i got em to free up, but i run the manuals in the summer when i don't need 4x4 on demand. When i have my warns locked in and i hit the esof to 4hi it grinds like a son of a gun. It grinds like it would if the hubs where unlocked and you were moving cause the front driveline isn't up to speed with the t-case. Don't know why this is.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Warn ones for my yellow truck cost around 200 bucks... milemarkers are good too, superwinch as well... between 200 and 300 should cover it... install is quite easy too...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM

my last super duty was a ESOF and it was fine at first but after the first year of owning it I ran into the vacuum issues and not shifting into 4wd. I now have a truck with the manual shift, and won't go back. My dad has the autos and he is having some trouble with the shifter motor in the tcase, its not shifting. Like said before, If you like the truck I wouldn't let it stop you from buying it but if it were me I would be keeping my eye out for the manual set up. good luck.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

I LOVE MY MANUAL 4X4 , im not too lazy to get out , and the manuals never give any issues , i have broken two sets of warns , keep putting my factory ones back in havent broke them yet
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Yep, you can do it. Mine has the ESOF and Warn manual hubs. Just lock in the hubs when you think you might need 4wd then flip the switch to engage the transfer case and away you go.

I'm tempted to switch back to auto hubs as I need to make tight turns in the parking garage at work and I can hear something popping as I go around the corners. That can't be good.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 PM

i got my mile markers for 80 form summit couldnt beat the price i think they were on sale but super easy to install and they evan come with a nice tool to lock an unlock them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.