Miles - How Many is too many? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Miles - How Many is too many?

I'm shopping and with this being my first diesel, I find myself trying to shy away from anything over 150k. I found a 2001 F250 Crew in really nice shape with 120K for $14,500. I also found a 2003 F250 Crew (7.3) with 265K for $8,000. Would you look at the 2003 or is that just too far up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I am looking into buying my first diesel as well but its a 99 f250 extended cab 4x4 7.3. The only downside is that it has 300k miles on it. I wanted to know how long this truck would last me and is 7k a good price for it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Buddy of mine just got a 2000 F250 ext cab, long bed, 4x4 auto for $4800. But it had 250K on it, and is rusty... bad rusty. Nice inside, but did I mention it's rusty? Runs good though, I test drove it with him...

My trucks have 213K (yellow), and 182K (red). I expect another 150K easily from each of them... probly double that...

I'd guess that most of these trucks get rusted out or wreaked before they get worn out...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So if the truck drives well than i should jump on it? Could you give me a list of things to check when i look at it to make sure its in decent shape. I've never had any experience with diesel trucks.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My personal preference would be for the 01 truck with less miles. But, that doesn't mean a thing if it hasn't been maintained.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
My personal preference would be for the 01 truck with less miles. But, that doesn't mean a thing if it hasn't been maintained.
Well, I drove a long way to look at it today. Body is nearly perfect, save for one little spot of surface rust on the bottom corner of a door. Interior is perfect as far as I can see. Bed has no 5th wheel ball and is almost scratch free. Tranny fluid was nice and pink. Only alarm was the K&N sticker on the airbox, although there was no K&N filter in it. I did take off the intake hose and the turbocharger fins didn't look rounded off or anything and were tight against the housing. Almost no oil blowby in the intake. The fins were a little discolored on the edges though. Is that normal? According to the dealer its a one owner local trade.

I wasn't blown away by the acceleration power. I currently drive a Nissan Armada with the 5.4 and it has more pop. Maybe I'll notice it with the diesel when towing?

In any event, the truck has 120K, is a 2001 F250 XLT Crew with the normal power options. Based on what I describe, would you pay 14,500 for this truck?

Opinions welcome, good or bad! Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo4turbo View Post
Well, I drove a long way to look at it today. Body is nearly perfect, save for one little spot of surface rust on the bottom corner of a door. Interior is perfect as far as I can see. Bed has no 5th wheel ball and is almost scratch free. Tranny fluid was nice and pink. Only alarm was the K&N sticker on the airbox, although there was no K&N filter in it. I did take off the intake hose and the turbocharger fins didn't look rounded off or anything and were tight against the housing. Almost no oil blowby in the intake. The fins were a little discolored on the edges though. Is that normal? According to the dealer its a one owner local trade.

I wasn't blown away by the acceleration power. I currently drive a Nissan Armada with the 5.4 and it has more pop. Maybe I'll notice it with the diesel when towing?

In any event, the truck has 120K, is a 2001 F250 XLT Crew with the normal power options. Based on what I describe, would you pay 14,500 for this truck?

Opinions welcome, good or bad! Thank you!
14,500 is a little steep for the mileage. I paid $12,000 for a 99 with 97,000 miles.. But then turned around and my mom bought a 01' with 130,000 for $16,000
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i wouldnt pay that much, didnt even pay 12k for my 02. anyway that being said sounds like a good running truck, and now they arent quick stock, especially 01's pcm programming. get a chip and you'll wake her up ha.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

3 Years ago i paid 17k for a 00 7.3 crew with 120,000 miles, that truck now has 275K, 14500 is not a bad price as long as the truck is in good condition. Good Luck hope you find the right PowerStroke!

BTW the guys that are saying they paid 12 for their truck, they have extended/super cabs in their signature
Not a crew cab
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 AM

i just paid $12k for my new truck 99 f350 cclb dually with 99k miles on it

if its at a dealer you can always offer less then what they are asking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.