Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Additives

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
With the new ULSD fuel and my 02 7.3 I've come do a dilema about what to use as a fuel additive. I've heard good things about howes meaner power cleaner, then again I've heard of people using 2 stroke motor oil...I guess I'd like to know what other people are using and what would be best to use.

#2 ·
I personally started using Sta-Bil Diesel Formula and like it

#3 ·
Super Tech TCW-3 or Stanadyne Performence additive or the Ford stuff is great as well 5 bucks a bottle. .. I use both at the same time no harm in over 36k , the Super Tech TCW-3 is like a $1.60 a 16oZ bottle 1 ounce per gallon of fuel.

#4 ·
two stroke here, runs smooth, buddy dumps in some fresh atf now n then doesnt hurt either lol.

#7 ·
That was 2007..... Fuels are changing seasonally....Back in 2007 there was more sulfur in Fuel. Now we have less sulfur, more grain, vegie and now animal rendering.
Unfortunately.....for drivers, the famous names have never updated their formulas so when you pour in the L or the H or the whatever, it's same as taking vitamins doctors call 'bed-pan bullets'. They go right through. Except in Winter up north if they are heavy on paraffin. That clogs the fuel system real good. You get to spend a lot of time parked.

We use the new one that's out with its anti-fungus, bacteria killer, and evaporator. Everyone who uses it swears by it.

#8 ·
That was 2007..... Fuels are changing seasonally....Back in 2007 there was more sulfur in Fuel.
Has USLD, in the US, been reducing sulfur below the '06 set standards of >500ppm? If so, and there by losing even more of it's lubricating properties, it seems to me that the study becomes even more valid :wink[3]:

Sure there are seasonal changes, and the additive packages are changed, but if you read the study you'd see this was all tested on "Base" fuel without anything added to it yet.

I agree though, I'd love to see an updated test. Even if the fuel remained unchanged there are So Many new additives available it'd be interesting to find what they're doing. The REAL surprise in the study is how many things are actually lowering lubricity!

#10 ·
From a lubricity standpoint. How many of you live in states that mandate 2% biodiesel mix. If so you dont need any lubricity additive.

Now from a cetane standpoint thats another story.

Im gonna recommend the Rev X fuel additive. Ive tried them all. Rev X seems to be the best of the bunch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.