100+ MPH Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 100+ MPH Question

Ok so yesterday I was in the process of demonstrating to the hapless owner of an "official pace truck" Dodge 1500 just how slow his truck really is. It was going splendidly and I was watching his little truck disappear into my rear-view when my truck starting doing something it has never done before. I'm not sure how fast I was going but I'd been pegged on 100 for maybe 5 seconds or so, so I figure I was going about 110 or 115 maybe. What happened is my wastegate started popping open in rapid succession like "psssh pssssh pssssh" in very steady pulses. I immediately got out of it and slowed down. The truck drives totally fine. Is this just some type of speed limiter in the stock computer? I'm running all stock turbo and wastegate and the wastegate is hooked up. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 03:47 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackb View Post
Ok so yesterday I was in the process of demonstrating to the hapless owner of an "official pace truck" Dodge 1500 just how slow his truck really is. It was going splendidly and I was watching his little truck disappear into my rear-view when my truck starting doing something it has never done before. I'm not sure how fast I was going but I'd been pegged on 100 for maybe 5 seconds or so, so I figure I was going about 110 or 115 maybe. What happened is my wastegate started popping open in rapid succession like "psssh pssssh pssssh" in very steady pulses. I immediately got out of it and slowed down. The truck drives totally fine. Is this just some type of speed limiter in the stock computer? I'm running all stock turbo and wastegate and the wastegate is hooked up. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I do not see any chip, or programmer in your signature. There for I would have to believe what happened was is your speed limiter kicked in. Get a custom chip like ts-6 or dp tuner, tony wildman, or another quality one and you will not have that problem no more.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 AM

I see, ok good, at least nothing is wrong w/ the truck, thanks for the response!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I do not see any chip, or programmer in your signature. There for I would have to believe what happened was is your speed limiter kicked in. Get a custom chip like ts-6 or dp tuner, tony wildman, or another quality one and you will not have that problem no more.
, but keep an eye on the Tach and your temps when you get going that fast though
Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackb View Post
I see, ok good, at least nothing is wrong w/ the truck, thanks for the response!
I bet your truck kinda jerked a bit too. The noise you heard was the waste gate opening when the truck speed limiter kicked in and defueled the truck until it got down below the speed limiter setting.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 AM

Yep I agree, that's exactly what happened. I don't drive that fast hardly ever, usually I let off around 85 maybe 90 when I'm playing w/ it but I was having too much fun blowing this guys doors off.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 AM

You don't have a chip or programmer and you still went over 100 mph. I don't believe it. The factory speed limiter is set at 94. When you hit the limiter it doesn't do like gas engines where it starts and stops. On our engines the computer gives just enough fuel to hold it at 94. So without something to turn the limiter off how can you go over 94????
Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpowerstroke View Post
You don't have a chip or programmer and you still went over 100 mph. I don't believe it. The factory speed limiter is set at 94. When you hit the limiter it doesn't do like gas engines where it starts and stops. On our engines the computer gives just enough fuel to hold it at 94. So without something to turn the limiter off how can you go over 94????
He could have bigger tires on it, maybe....
Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpowerstroke View Post
My speedometer would go to 100 and then my truck would do the same thing. Just because the speedo says your doing 100 does not mean your actaully going that fast. If you change your tire size that will throw off the speedo. There are alot of factors that are involved. I know when my speedo would hit 100 mph before I put my chip in my truck it would act the same way. Does that mean I was actually doing 100 no.

That is why I posted that it was his speed limiter kicking in and making his truck act like that.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Well, all I know is that I'm running stock sized tires and I've had my truck up to and over 100 a few times. In fact yesterday when this happened it hit 100 and certainly was still pulling hard and finally after about 5 seconds or so it hit the ceiling. I'm fairly certain that I've got a stock computer HOWEVER, the previous owner must have done something because there is a big sticker on my computer box that says "Diablosport" and picture of a Devil. I'm pretty sure it's stock though (or the existing chip is in stock mode?) cause I can't make smoke no matter how much I try. I've been meaning to pull it out sometime and look at it I just never have gotten around to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.