Newbie question on 4X4 - Need advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie question on 4X4 - Need advice.

Hi all-

Sorry for the lame question on my first post, but I'm making the move from a gasser to a 7.3. I'm looking at two trucks right now. One is an 01 F250 with Auto 4x4 (knob on dash), and the other is an 01 F350 with the 4X4 shifter on the floor. Wondering what's the difference and why I might want one over the other? Can both be engaged while moving?

I'm sure I could search for this while I'm in here, but I'll call it a bonus question....What's the difference between an F250/F350 anyway. They look like the exact same truck, but 3/4 ton versus 1 ton. Is that just basically payload capacity?

Any other advice you'd like to offer up / things to look for while shopping would be appreciated as this will be my first diesel, so it's all new to me.

Thanks!

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There's not much difference in the Man-vs-Auto 4WD other than Simplicity -vs- Convenience.

With the Auto system you can drive with the Ft. hubs Unlocked and with the twist of the dial the TC engages and the hubs lock themselves (at least that's the way it's supposed to work ) BUT things being the way they are, it also means you have a system with more things to FAIL and actually Keep you from getting 4WD when you need it!

BOTH with engage while moving as long as your manual hubs are already Locked.

The 250 -vs -350 is just the driveline & suspension for the extra weight. All things being equal, I feel more is better and would give a 350 a bit of an advantage 'cause "ya never know..."

There was a "What to look for when buying thread" I thought, but I don't seem to find it right now....

FOUND IT! -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD (I was only looking at the Stickies...)

Last edited by NoRalPh; 03-06-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After 8 hours of driving today, I was able to check out both trucks. The 350 is out. That guy has had a very hard life. However, the 250 is a winner. Body is nearly perfect, save for one little spot of surface rust on the bottom corner of a door. Interior is perfect as far as I can see. Bed has no 5th wheel ball and is almost scratch free. Tranny fluid was nice and pink. Only alarm was the K and N sticker on the airbox, although there was no K and N filter in it. I did take off the intake hose and the turbocharger fins didn't look rounded off or anything and were tight against the housing. Almost no oil blowby in the intake. The fins were a little discolored on the edges though. Is that normal? According to the dealer its a one owner local trade.

I wasn't blown away by the acceleration power. I currently drive a Nissan Armada with the 5.4 and it has more pop. Maybe I'll notice it with the diesel when towing?

In any event, the truck has 120K, is a 2001 F250 XLT Crew with the normal power options. Based on what I describe, would you pay 14,500 for this truck?

Opinions welcome, good or bad! Thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldn't worry about "colored" fins in the turbo..

Don't worry about acceleration either, stock the 7.3 isn't really "peppy" but, will you will notice is that while towing, the acceleration won't change, it'll pull the same with or without the trailer

$14.5 sounds a bit pricey,,,, look around for comparable sales and see if you can negotiate a better deal. If you're buying it from a Ford dealership though you have to figure on paying more because of, hopefully, a better warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.