Is the stock 3.5 exhaust with muff. delete adequate with a chip/tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the stock 3.5 exhaust with muff. delete adequate with a chip/tuner?

I did the DIY intake which improved power and even transmission shifts and am thinking of pulling the muffler off the stock exhaust on my 01' 350 to get better air flow with a straight pipe as I decide on which chip/tune.

Whether I go with an Edge Evo or a custom chip from PHP, TW I don't want to exceed 80hp. as I do not want to replace transmission #3.

My question, if I go with a chip/tune thats 80 will the 3.5 stock straight exhaust be adequate to keep EGTs down or do I need a 4"?
Back when most tuners/chips were canned I thought the advise from the manufacturers and rule of thumb was anything over 60hp. required a larger 4" downpipe.

Last edited by catman 3; 03-05-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
get the php tunes, and yes stock is way adequate get rid of that terrible restrictive muffler.
btw its not all in the 'power' its the way you drive.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
get the php tunes, and yes stock is way adequate get rid of that terrible restrictive muffler.
btw its not all in the 'power' its the way you drive.
Like he said it's not the POWER as much as it is the tuning IMHO. When you fill out the order form for PHP they ask about your mods ie exhaust, tire size, etc I believe Bill has everything covered
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman 3 View Post
Whether I go with an Edge Evo or a custom chip from PHP, TW I don't want to exceed 80hp. as I do not want to replace transmission #3.
With any tuning you should get a trans valve body at least, probably a TC a
well. Why didnt you go with a BTS or some built trans? You have paid
more for the rebuilds than you would have if you had just gotten a built
one to start with..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
With any tuning you should get a trans valve body at least, probably a TC a
well. Why didnt you go with a BTS or some built trans? You have paid
more for the rebuilds than you would have if you had just gotten a built
one to start with..
Thanks about the trans valve advice. I just read up on them and what I gather is it doesn't make a trans stronger but makes the shifts more crisper which lessens the dwell time the lines are pressured...I think.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't go with a BTS or some built trans because my psd is my only form of transportation and I:

a.) at the time didn't even know about BTS or any other replacement transmissions because I hadn't expected to lose tranny no. 1 much less tranny no. 2.

b.) have the time to search for and research beefed up aftermarket transmissions. I needed my transmission either fixed or replaced and get back on the road.

Last edited by catman 3; 03-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

So if you're running a straight pipe, is the exhaust noise annoying after a while? I'd like to do an exhaust upgrade, but I guess you can't have good flow w/o more noise.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse51599 View Post
So if you're running a straight pipe, is the exhaust noise annoying after a while? I'd like to do an exhaust upgrade, but I guess you can't have good flow w/o more noise.
I . I haven't amputated my stock muffler yet and not sure I'm going to.

Almost everyone advises the Big Three: intake, chip/programmer and exhaust upgrade. Many go with 4" w/ muffler delete. But when I asked in another post what does everyone do that are running straight pipes when they have to get their state inspections no one ever chimed in. Not sure if a flow through muffler on a 4" exhaust has the same performance as 4" straight pipes but will pass a state inspection.
So many ???

Last edited by catman 3; 03-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM

You dont say where you are from, so nobody can add input for inspections. I can
say that in Tx where I am they dont care. I sometimes put it in Extreme setting
for the inspector guy so he come back and says WTF....

I would say that straight pipe will be louder, add a muffler of some type. I know
my setup is fine with just regular driving, but when I tow it can get a little
loud after 2 days driving. The high flow exhaust outlet didnt help any either, but
sure dropped the EGT.

I understand about needing the truck back on the road. I have been planning on a BTS
for 3 years, just waiting for the trans to fail. It failed 1100 miles from home and I had to
nurse it home pulling a 10K-lb TT, that wasent fun at all. Then had to wait a month for
my appointment.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
You dont say where you are from, so nobody can add input for inspections. I can
say that in Tx where I am they dont care. I sometimes put it in Extreme setting
for the inspector guy so he come back and says WTF....

I would say that straight pipe will be louder, add a muffler of some type. I know
my setup is fine with just regular driving, but when I tow it can get a little
loud after 2 days driving. The high flow exhaust outlet didnt help any either, but
sure dropped the EGT.

I understand about needing the truck back on the road. I have been planning on a BTS
for 3 years, just waiting for the trans to fail. It failed 1100 miles from home and I had to
nurse it home pulling a 10K-lb TT, that wasent fun at all. Then had to wait a month for
my appointment.
I'm in Texas too. I was talking to what I thought was a diesel performance shop outside of Austin here to potentially install whatever chip and guages. I mentioned some names, PHP, TW and even the Edge and he said they used something canned I never heard of called the Flash pac

They said it would cost $700.00 just to install gauges saying there was a lot of hours and wiring involved.
When I asked about straight pipes he said I wouldn't be able to pass the State Inspec. without a muffler. Not sure if he was full of BS or not on the requirements but I did see a State inspection sign on their garage when I passed. I don't think I'll be going there.

I'm still researching the trans valve body. My experience is my tranny has either crapped out or it's going to so I need to start putting money in the BTS kitty.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I deleted the muffler on my stock exhaust at the same time I did the DIY intake. It made some difference in EGTs. I used to have a 80hp econo chip and with the intake and muff delete it made the truck come to life. I cant remember the exact #s but im thinking the stock exhaust with a delete will support 400+hp so youll be fine, the 4in just sounds better.

The exhaust is loud at WOT but its not bad, it gets alot of turbo noise. some people dont like the fluttering sound that they get from a straight piped 7.3.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.