Pulling Steep Grades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling Steep Grades

I hooked up the boat today so I could just tow something.

Boat and trailer are probably pushing 6,000 lbs. I live on a hill with a pretty steep grade and to be honest, I just wasn't impressed. With all the talk about towing power, I just figured I would walk right up that hill and keep accelerating. No such luck. It actually started slowing down on the steepes part and I thought I was going to stall.

It is an auto and I had it in 2nd gear on the way up because it kept wanting to go to a higher gear and wouldn't keep speed. I am running bigger tires than stock.. I think they are 315/75 R16's and I am pretty sure the gears are stock.

I will admit this is my first experience in a diesel so I don't have anything to compare it to but I get about the same out of my 2007 Tahoe on the same road.

Maybe I bought a lemon, maybe I expected too much? I just don't know. I am worried my 152,000 mile ride is already worn out and I pissed away a bunch of cash.

I am pretty bummed right now. Any thoughts?

Last edited by stlhdfishr; 03-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
these trucks arent exactly quick stock but theres a few things to take to mind. check your IC boots and make sure theres no leaks and check your up pipes and the firewall for soot(leaks) you could be losing boost.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How is the fuel filter looking?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Living on a prayer

below @ 35 mph the torque converter isn't locked up, so the tranny slips. when i'm towing right or hauling my truck camper around 35 mph i press the button turning of overdrive in order to keep the TC locked down to around 30mph. that keeps all the power flowing to the wheels. my two cents.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You gotta have something wrong,,,,

I pull a 6K trailer, up long steep grades, stock truck, and accelerate UP any one of them.

'02 F350
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM

I am not sure what you are expecting out of your diesel but horsepower is horsepower regardless of the fuel being burned to generate it. A turbo diesel can generate its horsepower at a lower rpm so you don't rev it like a gas engine when pulling. What is the Hp rating of your truck vs Tahoe?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 AM

I looked for leaks when I bought it a few weeks ago and didn't see any, I will look a little harder though.

I know the hill I am climbing is pretty steep and is much more than I would see while climbing what would be a typically steep highway grade.

I did the oil filler cap blowby test and it seems to be fine. Maybe there is something else.

As far as HP, the Tahoe has more HP than the F350 at the motor but I didn't think you could really compare the two though.

I would hate to be climbing a hill and get outpulled by a Tahoe though. that just doesn't sound right to me. LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Regarding the fuel filter...Guy I bought it from said it was recently changed so I haven't looked at it.

Dumb question...if it runs fine without the load, why would the filter make more of an issue when adding a load?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't trust the old owner. Change your oil and filters. Also, put your foot in it and let it rip. We have a biiiiig hill at the lake with a similar sized boat (around 6K). Gotta put your foot in it and let the turbo sing.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
btw i have no prob pullin that weight at 50+ up those grades..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.