1st Service - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st Service

Just bought myself a 01 F350 with 7.3. I have always done my own maintenance on my gas burners, so figured i would do the same with my new powerstroke. I researched on here an other places the process for changing oil and fuel filter (Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page).

Went to store bought 15 qts of motorcraft 15w40 oil, motorcraft oil filter, and motorcraft fuel filter. Now i realize after researching on here the choice of oil/filter manufacturers differ from person to person. I talked to the ford service dept and they recommend nothing but motorcraft, so I figure that is what I should use.

Came home and got started. Drained oil, took off old filter, filled up new filter with oil and installed. replaced oil plug gasket and put plug back in. Added 15 qts of oil (note to self get a bigger funnel). Crank engine let it run a minute or two, turn off and check oil level. Only comes about 1/2 between add and full. I have done some reading on here and seems like some folks say add till you get full even if that means 16 qts. others say it holds 15 qts so put in 15 and leave it. well i just cannot stand the thought of running the truck unless the dipstick reads full so I am gonna be getting another jug of oil and adding till full.

now for the fuel filter. Apparently the previous owner has not changed the filter in a long time, because the nuts holding the plastic "powerstroke" cover were so welded on that I broke them off (both of them). So now I have something else to repair Then i remove the fuel filter cover, no problem. go to drain the bowl and it won't, realize i should have drained before removing the cover so their would have been some pressure in the bowl to force the fuel out. So now i put the filter back in and cap back on getting fuel everywhere as i push the filter back in. open the drain valve turn the key to start the fuel pump up and it finally blows whatever had the drain tube stopped up out. take cap back off, open new filter and realize that someone has put on an aftermarket filter with the cap permanently fixed to the filter. Put old filter back in. Now, I need to order a new factory fuel filter cap and install the motorcraft filter.

So it was an adventure, but i learned some stuff along the way. So it should be easier next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds about normal... Somethings that will help...

- Punch a hole in the bottom of the old filer after you make sure it will come loose and
before the gasket separates from the base and starts leaking. That way the filter
is empty as you take it off, way less mess.

- slip a piece of fuel line over the fuel filter drain tube and secure it so when you drain
the bowl you can catch the fuel and it wont drain all over the frame and make a
dripping mess. Yea, wasps like building nests in the drain hose.

- get an extra fuel filter and keep it behind the seat in case you get some bad fuel.

- read the little book that came with the truck. Instruction for checking the oil
say to let it sit for 10-mins before checking the level. I bet you will get that
extra quart you were looking for. Also, your truck will have a oil level it likes. Mine
will burn off that top quart if I try to keep it full. If I leave it in the middle of
the full zone I may have to add a qt in 5000 miles. If I try to keep it full
I can add over a gallon in the same milage.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Get ready to be bent over when you replace the filter cap.
Last time I replaced the fuel filter was while my truck was in the shop getting new tires. Later, when I went to replace the filter myself I realized they had used one of those one piece aftermarket filter/caps. This meant I had to go to the Ford dealer and buy a new plastic filter cap. $75.00 + tax !!!
I raised hell and asked why a @%&%#@# plastic cap worth about $17.00
cost close to a hundred dollars, more than the oil and filter combined.

The parts manager didn't have an answer except something about it being made out of some high impact, space age polymer. I told him it wasn't going on the space shuttle, I just needed a plastic cap to keep my filter in. He asked if I was going to buy it and I said I didn't have a choice but it was bulls#it and a ripoff. rant over
Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 AM

Or talk to this guy. Same guy with the maintenance page.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Last edited by DND58; 03-06-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

A napa gold fuel filter comes with the cap onthe filter. It might be cheaper using a new one of these each time instead of buying a new cap.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the replies guys. I ordered the 15.00 cap from dieselorings.com.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvick View Post
Just bought myself a 01 F350 with 7.3. I have always done my own maintenance on my gas burners, so figured i would do the same with my new powerstroke. I researched on here an other places the process for changing oil and fuel filter (Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page).

Went to store bought 15 qts of motorcraft 15w40 oil, motorcraft oil filter, and motorcraft fuel filter. Now i realize after researching on here the choice of oil/filter manufacturers differ from person to person. I talked to the ford service dept and they recommend nothing but motorcraft, so I figure that is what I should use.

Came home and got started. Drained oil, took off old filter, filled up new filter with oil and installed. replaced oil plug gasket and put plug back in. Added 15 qts of oil (note to self get a bigger funnel). Crank engine let it run a minute or two, turn off and check oil level. Only comes about 1/2 between add and full. I have done some reading on here and seems like some folks say add till you get full even if that means 16 qts. others say it holds 15 qts so put in 15 and leave it. well i just cannot stand the thought of running the truck unless the dipstick reads full so I am gonna be getting another jug of oil and adding till full.

now for the fuel filter. Apparently the previous owner has not changed the filter in a long time, because the nuts holding the plastic "powerstroke" cover were so welded on that I broke them off (both of them). So now I have something else to repair Then i remove the fuel filter cover, no problem. go to drain the bowl and it won't, realize i should have drained before removing the cover so their would have been some pressure in the bowl to force the fuel out. So now i put the filter back in and cap back on getting fuel everywhere as i push the filter back in. open the drain valve turn the key to start the fuel pump up and it finally blows whatever had the drain tube stopped up out. take cap back off, open new filter and realize that someone has put on an aftermarket filter with the cap permanently fixed to the filter. Put old filter back in. Now, I need to order a new factory fuel filter cap and install the motorcraft filter.

So it was an adventure, but i learned some stuff along the way. So it should be easier next time!
Done the SAME thing previous owner never changed it and i broke the threads off also. went to dealer and it was i think $37 before tax....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

The last WIX fuel filter I bought still had the integrated lid/filter. They are saying the part number supercedes the old non-integrated lid filter. I kept my lid just in case.

To the OP, as far as the oil level goes, wait a bit, like suggested above, to check the oil level. It takes some time for all the oil to get back to the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.