Oil Leak 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak 7.3

1999 F250 Crew Cab 7.3 April build date, 200K miles. Purchased in '06 with 114K miles on it. I've done brakes, glow plugs etc... I paid to have the clutch replaced...$$$. I wish I would have done it myself. Because...of my oil leak. There is a vent on the bottom of the bell housing area of the transmission directly in the middle of the casting about 10" rearward from the oil pan. I am losing a quart a week. Of course, at idle I cannot see much action which I assume is because the oil pressure is not ramped up due to low rpm. However, I can see a weeping drip every 5 minutes at idle. I see no evidence of leak at the oil filter or the drain plug. I see no evidence of oil leaks forward of the drain plug. The transmission and rearward however are wet. Yes, I confirmed that the dip stick contraption is uncompromised. I would think if I am losing this volume of oil through the rear main that it would be contacting the clutch/pressure plate. But then I haven't seen it disassembled so I can't comment with authority. I fear this will require pulling the engine. My questions are...Is the rear seal a common area of leakage at this mileage? Could it be the oil pan gasket? Does that require the removal of the engine as well? Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look up on the top of the engine, anything leaking up there will drain down the back of the engine thru a weep hole in the valley of the engine. Hardly ever hear of a rear seal leaking on a 7.3. Probably need to wash it down with simple green & spay it off with a garden hose to find leak & you'll see the water from the valley run right down to the inspection plate that the oil is coming from.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

look at the turbo pedistal O rings
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Like they said. Clean every thing as spottless as you can. Let the motor dry off. Then drive it around the block, then park it look for oil spots starting at the top/back of the motor working your way down.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
crawl on top, take the dumb engine cover off and(the powerstroke one) and look around.. if you have oil up top by the hpop/fuel bowl well then its probably hpop.. if its not its back there and either ebpv rod or pedestal orings... either way nothing is an extremely $ fix.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

there is a part two you can also watch hope this helps some. good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply guys. And thanks for the video Jonboy. Now I know what the valley is. I know it's basic but for me it's helpful. I will post back my findings.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry, I think we all forgot you were new and took some stuff for granted. If you have ANY questions no matter how big or small or silly you might think they are just ask. Thats what we are all here for You will learn more than you could ever imagine on this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.