Converting From 6-Speed to Auto - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Converting From 6-Speed to Auto

I know I've read posts on here of guys putting 6-speeds in place of their autos. I'm thinking of doing the opposite. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of cost and who in the midwest, I live in Missouri, could do this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

um... idk, but you'd have a buyer for your zf6.... i wanna handshaker so bad Where in mo are ya? I'm in southern illinois myself, maybe we could arrange a swap at a reputable mech shop?

And are your talking a built auto or just getting a 4r100 in there? that'll make a difference of who ya should go to... there is a certain shop in arkansas i would direct you to if you're talkin built

Last edited by Buffalo444; 01-30-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey, what a coincidence. I'm in Missouri and want a 6 speed. Where in MO are you at? Specs on the truck (cab, bed, 4x4?) If you find somebody to trade, the costs will be minimal. If you go out and buy everything, your costs are going to be the transmission (varies on cost by how built you want it) + transmission core charge. 4x4 trucks will need an input shaft change on the transfer case. You'll need wiring and computer tuning for the auto.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 AM

I live just north of Springfield. My truck is a supercab 350 dually 4x4. I do have a tuner and pull a 5th wheel camper, so I need a strong trans. I did just put in a new southbend clutch. So I don't want some wore out piece of junk.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 AM

how big of a 5er? if you want somethin heavy freakin duty, give brian at brians truck shop in arkansas a call. top o the line right there
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 AM

If you want strong, you'll want a transmission from Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas. But, the transmission alone will run you north of $4k, without core or the rest of the swap. It will also be the last transmission you will ever buy for the truck (lifetime warranty). Did I mention I have a super cab long bed 4x4 and am in Rolla?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
If you want strong, you'll want a transmission from Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas. But, the transmission alone will run you north of $4k, without core or the rest of the swap. It will also be the last transmission you will ever buy for the truck (lifetime warranty). Did I mention I have a super cab long bed 4x4 and am in Rolla?
Don't think I'll be dropping 4k+ in any trans. I'll keep shifting before that happens. How many miles on your trans Zaairman?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 AM

Truck has 145K on it. I've had it since 95K. Not sure if it is original or not.

Just my $.02, but if I was doing the stick to auto swap like you are wanting to do, I would get the auto rebuilt before it goes in. Or at least add a better torque converter and valve body.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Truck has 145K on it. I've had it since 95K. Not sure if it is original or not.

Just my $.02, but if I was doing the stick to auto swap like you are wanting to do, I would get the auto rebuilt before it goes in. Or at least add a better torque converter and valve body.
Yup, could just get the bts valve body and precision industries torque converter and itd be the next best thing to dropping 4k on a tranny.... no sence in skimping with the tc tho, some of the cheaper ones are a little sketchy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.