Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy diesels

I'm curious how the three compared for the 2000 model year. I'm interested in reliability, fuel consumption, horsepower, and torque. Also, can anyone tell me the competition's big-change years, post 2000?...meaning, did they do a drastic change to their engines where it significantly altered the competitive landscape between the three manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In 2000 Chevy still had the 6.5, WOW. Dodge wasn't quite up there with HP but torque yes. I'm noit quite sure of the numbers without looking them up. Ford I think had the best engine for the diesels in 2000 with 250HP and 505 ft.lbs. I think the Cummins wass somewhere near 450, ?????? and hp at about 190-215. One of the last couple issues of Diesel Power has a whole list of the Cummins stuff from the beginning until now. That GM 6.5 was somwhere around 180HP and 325ft.lbs. Like I said I don't know off hand but I think memory serves me close enough. The big change for Ford came in '99 with the updated engine:wastegated turbo, intercooler, no more vaccuum pump, among other things. Chevy relaesed the D-max in late 2001, and The big change for Dodge came in 1994, with updates and small changes along the way. And I don;t quite remember when they went 24 valves with the Cummins. Hopefully I was some help.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
Great info! Thanks.

Now, next question...how does the old 7.3 stand up against those updated versions from the competition?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomasik
Great info! Thanks.

Now, next question...how does the old 7.3 stand up against those updated versions from the competition?
The other engines as far as performance are leagues better. The 7.3 doesn't stand a chance against the stock vs. stock. Except maybe 03-04 Cummins, they barely beat us. Those trucks I'm refering to are 2003 and up. With the right mods we can hols our own. But as far as simple plug in devices those truck have the advantage. I've talked with a few guys that went from 7.3's to the newer 6.0 and wish they stayed. Hot rod wise, the 6.0 has a better platform to start, but towing they say the engine struggles too much with heavy loads, now I thin k the 2005 and 2006 models are much better that 2003-2004. I don't hear too much about the D-max, but when I was stock I raced one and got waxed. The good thing about the 7.3 is it seems there are more mods you can do internally to the engine, rods, pushrods, valvesprings, among other things. The only other engine that can have at those items is the Cummins, now there might be stuff for the chevy and newer ford but I haven't seen them yet. But remember this: without the 7.3 powerstroke there would be no 6.0 or D-max, the cummins engine would still be dominating.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
I'm partial to the 7.3 but the Cummins is also pretty bulletproof. I don't like GM for diesels, the 6.2 and 6.5 were always dogs, even when the 6.5 got a turbo. I drove an early Dmax and wasn't impressed either.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd
I'm partial to the 7.3 but the Cummins is also pretty bulletproof. I don't like GM for diesels, the 6.2 and 6.5 were always dogs, even when the 6.5 got a turbo. I drove an early Dmax and wasn't impressed either.
You're right, I think a newer 7.3 could take the early D-max. And as far as the cummins, thats exactly why you see those the most at the drag races and sled pulls. Bullet proof, you said it first.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacks258
] And I don;t quite remember when they went 24 valves with the Cummins.
24 valves came out in late 98
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Cool comparison

I've worked with a 24v with the V44 pump. Those and the 03 comman rail respond quickly to plug in moduals. Makes me sick. I can still out run the kids but ym oldest is saving up for a TST195hp and 385ft lbs at the wheels chip. This is bad news. The newer D-max respond well to plug in mods as well. Our family's 6.5 runs like it should for having a turbo that only produces 7psi boost with the waste gate pinned open. The good thing is it still gets 18mpg with 289,000mi.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I may end up going with TST's box sooner or later for my Ram. It's a pretty high powered box...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Cool Tst

Ya, that's a pretty big claim for being the only mod. My son had an Edge chip plugged in for awhile. They wake up fast. His 98 1/2 was the same way. An 80hp chip made such a profound difference. I do wish my PSD would have made these kind of responces. I have to plane for the future so I can keep my winning edge. Can't get beat by my kid's!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.