Is a 7.3 a good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Is a 7.3 a good idea?

I am currently a student so i cant afford anything fancy, however, a higher mileage diesel (100-150k) is in the cards. I'm looking for one next year in Arizona. My question is will regular maintenance (i always preform the best maintenance on my vehicles) on a 7.3 pay off considering reliability, MPG, and truck duration or should i just get another gasser. Thank you for you expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Higher mileage is all relative. I've been driving diesels for a while and suddenly 150k goes from "worn out gasser" to "barely broken-in diesel."

Go with a diesel and don't look back.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Hell yeah it is! I'm in the same position, 19 year-old working and going to school full time.

I bought the '96 in my sig for $6,250 with a new tranny and 193k miles back in April of '10, and now at 204k she hasn't missed a beat, and runs like a champ!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good reply's, what should i bolt on to it for increased mpg and durability? what kind of chip, intake, and exhaust should i go with for those 2 things? What are the costs of some repairs i might run into? What are the average maintenance costs, again i don't cheap it, i always go full synthetic etc. Thanks for answer so fast, i have had this on my mind for a while.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Intake, exhaust, 6-position chip would be a good start, and give you a decent boost in power.

A full synthetic oil change on these beasts is going to cost you $90 to $100... It costs me about $75 using Shell Rotella T non-synthetic. Hmmm... the CPS (cam position sensor) is known to randomly go bad sometimes, and will completely shut the truck down and it will not restart. I've never had this problem though. Apparently it's just an 8mm bolt and a connector to replace it though, so no worries.

Another that thing crosses my mind is glow plugs and the glow plug relay, depending on what kinda shape they're in...

Aside from that and the occasional fuel filter, they're pretty solid trucks/motors!!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnewbie View Post
good reply's, what should i bolt on to it for increased mpg and durability? what kind of chip, intake, and exhaust should i go with for those 2 things? What are the costs of some repairs i might run into? What are the average maintenance costs, again i don't cheap it, i always go full synthetic etc. Thanks for answer so fast, i have had this on my mind for a while.
I love my 7.3, but your headed down a long dark expensive highway when you start talking about aftermarket performance because once you start you always want more. It's one hell of a good time though.

I have a DP-Tuner and love everything about it. Mainly just stay away from canned tunes (Edge, Bullydog, Banks, etc.) and get custom tunes. Some guys will chime in on other chips.

Exhaust is dependent on how much you want to spend and how loud you want it to be. I simply have a 4" MBRP aluminized, and got it for $300. Some stainless systems can run up to and beyond $1000.

A lot of guys on here are running the DIY intake, but AFE and others are good, most guys will tell you to stay away from K&N due to dusting issues.

As long as you don't rod the piss out of it, let it warm up, change oil fuel filters regularly these trucks run forever. But, with any vehicle stuff does break and wear out. It's just the name of the game, but they are way more fun than any gasser ever could be and relatively you can get these trucks to rip way easier than a gasser.

Good luck and welcome to the ORG
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am fine with $100 oil changes, thanks for the suggestions keep em comin. Oh by the way, does anyone know of a good diesel shop/mechanic around Tempe or Phoenix area. That would be great.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysStrokin' View Post
I love my 7.3, but your headed down a long dark expensive highway when you start talking about aftermarket performance because once you start you always want more. It's one hell of a good time though.
Ain't that the truth So far I my truck I've spent $1,200 for the Dana 60 swap, $100 on the 3" downpipe, ~$75 on the DIY intake, ~$350 for my stereo system, $250 for gauges, and just recently, $1,200 on stage 1 injectors!!

Now that I've got a real peformance mod coming in the mail (the injectors), I've been looking at turbos, intercooler setups, HPOP's (High Pressure Oil Pumps), chips, built trannies, water/meth systems, etc... I'm too broke to afford any of it right now, but it's fun to dream
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM

One thing to keep in mind with the higher mileage 7.3s is fuel injectors. If you are looking at direct injected trucks (99-03) the injectors are typically shot around 200k. If you can do them yourself it will still be over $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 powerstroke, newbie, reliability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.