Got a couple of issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a couple of issues

I got a couple things going on that Im not sure about.
Truck- 2002 f250. Intake, exhaust, PHP chip. 140,000miles

Issue #1- I had a thread a little while ago about my starter grinding/free spinning every once in a while. It was also a little slower than normal to start. Replaced starter with db electric high tq starter. The grinding issue is gone and the motor spins over faster but it still a little slow to start. Now by slow I mean like a cold start every time(about a 2-3mississippi count), it used to fire up immediatley.
Any ideas on whats going on with it? Is something starting to wear out or fail?

Issue #2- On my first trip of the day when truck is cold my tranny doesnt want to shift into overdrive until like 65mph. Once it warms up everything goes back to normal and it shifts fine.
Any ideas on whats going on with it? If anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM

My red truck is slow to start, cranks over a while, then fires. Yellow truck takes almost as long to fire up... both get plugged in every chance I get when it's cold.

As to the auto trans, if it's still kinda cold, it will hold drive for longer, my auto truck holds out on the OD shift just like you're discribing. I sugjest letting it warm up longer before you take off... less of an issue when plugged in and already somewhat warmed up.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's250 View Post
I got a couple things going on that Im not sure about.
Truck- 2002 f250. Intake, exhaust, PHP chip. 140,000miles

Issue #1- I had a thread a little while ago about my starter grinding/free spinning every once in a while. It was also a little slower than normal to start. Replaced starter with db electric high tq starter. The grinding issue is gone and the motor spins over faster but it still a little slow to start. Now by slow I mean like a cold start every time(about a 2-3mississippi count), it used to fire up immediatley.
Any ideas on whats going on with it? Is something starting to wear out or fail?

Issue #2- On my first trip of the day when truck is cold my tranny doesnt want to shift into overdrive until like 65mph. Once it warms up everything goes back to normal and it shifts fine.
Any ideas on whats going on with it? If anything?
The slow starting this could be fuel pressure, are you throwing any codes? How full is your tank? It also could be just slightly weak injectors, but nothin to worry bout. Is this a plugged in start or a cold soaked just gp start?

And yeah the trans shift is normal. If you can spend like a mile or 2 on side roads till your tranny gets up to temp that should help
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
My red truck is slow to start, cranks over a while, then fires. Yellow truck takes almost as long to fire up... both get plugged in every chance I get when it's cold.

As to the auto trans, if it's still kinda cold, it will hold drive for longer, my auto truck holds out on the OD shift just like you're discribing. I sugjest letting it warm up longer before you take off... less of an issue when plugged in and already somewhat warmed up.
Thanks Crawler.
Well its not that cold here lately. I plug it in when its in the teens or 20's. I remote start it while im getting my stuff together so it normal idles anywhere from 5-10 mins. Its been doing this slow start since summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
The slow starting this could be fuel pressure, are you throwing any codes? How full is your tank? It also could be just slightly weak injectors, but nothin to worry bout. Is this a plugged in start or a cold soaked just gp start?

And yeah the trans shift is normal. If you can spend like a mile or 2 on side roads till your tranny gets up to temp that should help
Thanks Buffalo.
This is a glow plug or plugged in start, it was 40 degrees this morning so not plugged in today. Tank is always 1/4 or higher. My remote start is set to run gp's for 20 sec before start up. I havent tried to pull any codes, but I dont have any lights on. I was thinking maybe along the lines of low fuel or oil pressure but not sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

How new are your batteries? Slow cranking= low HPOP= slow start. Guess it could also be low fuel pressure... my yellow truck has been starting a little quicker now that I replaced the fuel bowl drain o-rings a few months ago... will do that to the red truck soon, to see if it helps it start quicker...
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
How new are your batteries? Slow cranking= low HPOP= slow start. Guess it could also be low fuel pressure... my yellow truck has been starting a little quicker now that I replaced the fuel bowl drain o-rings a few months ago... will do that to the red truck soon, to see if it helps it start quicker...
Batteries and alternator are about 8 months old. I had to do my drain orings about a year and a half ago. Its cranks fast just starts slow. The high tq starter help the slow cranking.

And I just changed my oil,filter and fuel filter 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.