losing boost under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
whateverittakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lawrenceburg KY
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
losing boost under load

I have a 2000 f-250 7.3 has edge evolution box, mbrp exhaust and s&b cold air kit. I have noticed here lately that when under a load the truck is losing boost. I know when I first got the truck it would make 18 to 20#'s of boost before it would lose it out the waste gate. Here lately It makes 8 to 10#'s then it dumps the gate. makes a shshshshshshsh sound until you let off the pedal. Does anyone have any ideas why the truck is doing this? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

2000 Ford F-250 4x4 automatic extended cab lariat
MODS Edge evolution with monitor
5" MBRP Exhaust
S & B cold air intake
Foil delete
wicked wheel
Recon smoked cab lights
3" Reflexxion cowl Hood
Ex-stang bed cover
Headlight & taillight covers
Vent visors

Owner/Operator of
WHATEVER IT TAKES Performance
I drive Ford and part out Dodges
whateverittakes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atchison, Kansas
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would try the 7.3 motor problem forum, you might get a better response. I have heard the plungers get sticky and dry and need to be lubed but I have never had trouble with mine and don't know that for a fact. Did you check the vaccum lines going to the wastegate to see if the have gotten dried and maybe cracked or accidently taken off?
EArmsF350 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
7.3eleanor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Conrroe Tx,
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would unplug the wastgate. And see what happens. If nothing changes. Check the intercooler boots. If there is no holes or loose clamps I would start looking at the turbo. Let us know what you come up with.

01 f-350 drw
Black in color
5% tint
08 tailgate
285/75/16 nitto terra grapplers
Superchip Flashpaq
H.I.Ds 8000k
Rear captains chairs
The muffler ran away 6" tip
03 headlight/marker lights
Billet grill
Auto page remote start
B&W hitch
Custom stereo
7.3eleanor is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
whateverittakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lawrenceburg KY
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArmsF350 View Post
I would try the 7.3 motor problem forum, you might get a better response. I have heard the plungers get sticky and dry and need to be lubed but I have never had trouble with mine and don't know that for a fact. Did you check the vaccum lines going to the wastegate to see if the have gotten dried and maybe cracked or accidently taken off?
Are you talking about plungers in the waste gate?

2000 Ford F-250 4x4 automatic extended cab lariat
MODS Edge evolution with monitor
5" MBRP Exhaust
S & B cold air intake
Foil delete
wicked wheel
Recon smoked cab lights
3" Reflexxion cowl Hood
Ex-stang bed cover
Headlight & taillight covers
Vent visors

Owner/Operator of
WHATEVER IT TAKES Performance
I drive Ford and part out Dodges
whateverittakes is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
whateverittakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lawrenceburg KY
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3eleanor View Post
I would unplug the wastgate. And see what happens. If nothing changes. Check the intercooler boots. If there is no holes or loose clamps I would start looking at the turbo. Let us know what you come up with.
Are you talking about unplugging the vacuum line to the wastegate?

2000 Ford F-250 4x4 automatic extended cab lariat
MODS Edge evolution with monitor
5" MBRP Exhaust
S & B cold air intake
Foil delete
wicked wheel
Recon smoked cab lights
3" Reflexxion cowl Hood
Ex-stang bed cover
Headlight & taillight covers
Vent visors

Owner/Operator of
WHATEVER IT TAKES Performance
I drive Ford and part out Dodges
whateverittakes is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atchison, Kansas
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would see if the lines are still good and everything looks sound. But as to the plunger, yes I have been told it could get sticky and not function properly. Again I have had no issues with mine so I was hoping someone with more experience than I would have chimed in. I recall my mechanic saying something about lubing the plungers on both the EBV and the wastegate. My dad was having trobles with his EBV surging and that led to discussion about the plungers getting dry.
EArmsF350 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
CSIPSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bend, Or
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverittakes View Post
I have a 2000 f-250 7.3 has edge evolution box, mbrp exhaust and s&b cold air kit. I have noticed here lately that when under a load the truck is losing boost. I know when I first got the truck it would make 18 to 20#'s of boost before it would lose it out the waste gate. Here lately It makes 8 to 10#'s then it dumps the gate. makes a shshshshshshsh sound until you let off the pedal. Does anyone have any ideas why the truck is doing this? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Almost sounds like surge, but I doubt you would have it that low.

Check the up pipes, intercooler boots and check the turbo for play.

How many miles on the truck?

FYI, you will NEVER hear the wastegate on a 7.3. Never. You could remove the canister and leave it wide open and you would not hear it.

So what ever sound you are hearing is a boost leak, or drive pressure leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArmsF350 View Post
I would try the 7.3 motor problem forum, you might get a better response. I have heard the plungers get sticky and dry and need to be lubed but I have never had trouble with mine and don't know that for a fact. Did you check the vaccum lines going to the wastegate to see if the have gotten dried and maybe cracked or accidently taken off?
There are no Plungers to lube. Not sure who told you that but there is nothing to lube.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EArmsF350 View Post
I would see if the lines are still good and everything looks sound. But as to the plunger, yes I have been told it could get sticky and not function properly. Again I have had no issues with mine so I was hoping someone with more experience than I would have chimed in. I recall my mechanic saying something about lubing the plungers on both the EBV and the wastegate. My dad was having trobles with his EBV surging and that led to discussion about the plungers getting dry.
The EBP valve does not surge, it can open and close erratically due to back pressure sensor issues, but it does not surge.

Again, there is nothing to lube, the EBPV rod goes into the turbo pedestal and is lubed with motor oil. The rod that runs thru the exhaust housing is in bronze bushings, and experiences 1200* temps, no lube needed.

01 F-250 SC PSD,320k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Hydra chip-No Limit/Gearhead tuning, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe



DYNOPROVEN.COM, PERFORMANCEINJECTIONSYSTEMS.COM and RIFFRAFFDIESEL.COM
CSIPSD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome