Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

glow plug question

956 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ski-dooin it 
#1 ·
i replaced the glow plugs on driver's side this weekend, and didn't have time to tackle pass. side, but i did take a look at all the junk that is gonna have to be removed to get to the valve cover. my question is are there any short cuts to getting the valve covers off? it looks like a/c and alot of hosed and junk is gonna have to be removed to get to it. any pointers to save me a little bit of time?

#2 ·
All we removed for my pass side was the intercooler pipe. Everything else we wiggled around. Granted mine is a 2k unsure what year yours is.

#3 ·
You just need to loosen the bracket on the passenger side for the heater hoses. Inner cooler tube comes off, AC lines do not need to be taken off. Take your time and look at everything close while you disassemble. I just had all of mine looked at and it takes about 7-10 minutes to get the passenger side valve cover off. It's not bad. Just take your time the first time. You wont be disappointed.

#5 ·
thanks for the reply guys yall make it sound alot easier than what it looked

???am i missing something or you just messing with me

#7 ·
I did mine couple weeks ago. I unbolted the ac pump and it just sat to the side,lines still atached. heater hoses and stuff like that lifted up out of the way also then just wiggled vc out. At first glance it looks like a pain but It came out pretty easy:thumb:

#9 ·
when I replaced the glowplugs, all I took out was the intercooler pipe, I spent about 20 minutes wrestling the valve cover out around the A/C hoses. I had to go back in a week later and replace the under valve cover harness, removed the intercooler pipe, and this time took the oil filler tube off the valve cover first, it came out much easier.

Mike

#10 ·
if you dont have a 13mm or half inch flex head ratchet wrench...get one. it cuts the job time in half i would say. there are 2 valve cover bolts down by the heater core that you cant really get to easily at all. It took me a whole afternoon/evening to do my first set. when i did another with the right tools, around 2.5 hours. that one wrench knocked at least a half hour or so worth on that side off.

pull the IC pipe off and its not to bad, unthread the oil filler and its easy. once the cover is out, life is good, there is definately more crap on that side, but none of it is really in the way once you get the vc off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.