pressure in degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pressure in degas bottle

late 99 f250 7.3 im gettin exsesive pressure in degas bottle. truck idles fine when cold. it seams after thremostat opens (i think) all hoses get hard as rocks then pressure slowly increases. new radiator, themostst, heater core. flushed and filled with elc fleet guard. help im stuck. has new head gaskets 2000 miles ago. injector cups? but no diesel in coolant. blown head gasket? but no smoke or over heating. HELP. also no loss of power drives fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It kind of sounds like you have a air bubble in the system, or your thermostat is sticking.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

how do u get air out
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is a couple of ways. Some guys say to jack the front end up making the degas bottle the highest point in the cooling system and leaving the cap off and letting it set making gravity do its work.
One guy showed me to run the engine for awhile getting it close to opt temp shut it off, squeezing the upper radiator hose listening and feeling for air bubbles to flow through the hose back to the bottle then slowly loosening the cap letting the pressure release, and repeating all of it till you have your truck at opt temp and and your upper hose is not pressurized and you have coolant flowing through and your thermostat open.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would drain the radiator completely. Then pull the heater hose off the water pump refill the radiator slowly with the heater hose off. And when coolant starts coming out of the heater hose put it back on finish filling the degas bottle. Should be no air in the system. I just did a water pump on mine this it how I got all the air out.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

update.....
installed a flush tee in heater hose at highest point. then ran about a 2' hose down into degas bottle down below antifrezze level. started truck and let run. bubbles came out of hose and with end of hose in antifreeze it can only suck fluid and not air. ran for about 20 min and bubbles didnt slow down or stop. if i pinch off hose. you can watch level go up in bottle let go of hose and level drops. help................ gut is telling me possible head gasket or injector cup. but as stated before no smoke or oil in antifreeze. also wife is pissed i just installed 2 new gaskets this summer. motor i installed had a broken piston on one side and a mose nest in the intake on other side. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.