edge Evolution tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
edge Evolution tuner

Hi memebers,

I recently purchased a egde evolution tuner. I must say this thing is kick ***. I am very pleased with its performance levels. I upgraded from a very old superchips tuner. My truck ( excursion) currently has guages m mbrp enhaust , and a full intake. my question is my old superchips programmer made my tranny shift nice an firm , and the edge evolution is not quite as as firm. am i at risk of transmision problems ??? i heard there is a valve body adjustment and a better torque converter out here for the truck. its a 7.3 any suggestions.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM

If you have the 15001 as I do, it will allow you to change the shift points as well as firmness. I don't know about the 15000. Read the manual.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

turning up the line pressure is not a great idea, if you read enough you will understand why. Get a transgo tugger kit installed and never look back!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM

I understand what the tugger does and would also highly recommend it, but "lightly" adjusting the line pressure isn't going to kill his tranny. The right foot(and going stupid with line pressure without other mods) is what will kill it. That's what his old superchips tuner did to it. I've been building transmissions since the pg days, and I've built more 4r100's than I can count. That's why mine has a built valve body and tc in it.

(btw.. LOVE your avatar!)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Hi ,

Yes I have the 15000 version of the edge evolution. I guess the ols superchips was a little better for the transmisison. I am going to do alittle more research on the transmission tugger. Powerstrokeone what did you do the converter and valve body ? Since you have built trannys am iin danger of ruining mine.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM

I went through mine with a master kit from RacerX. I am very pleased with the quality of parts in the kit. Torque converter is a 6.4 converter. Little higher stall than the 7.3, and much stronger. The converter is the biggest problem with the 7.3 automatics. I'm not saying the tranny's are the greatest, just that the converter is the biggest problem I've seen.
I have no idea regarding your transmission(mileage,maintainenence, use/abuse), so I cannot answer your question whether or not you are heading for trouble or not. Assuming that the tranny doesn't have a ton of miles on it and has been serviced regularly and not abused, you should be fine. As a member on another forum stated this very evening, "don't use the right pedal as an on/off switch or a boost launch" and you should be fine.

Last edited by powerstrokeone; 01-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree, light pressure adjustment with a fixed valve body is ok...with discretion. One thing I liked about the tugger kit is the option of drilling and re-drilling the plate to get firmer shifts vs raising line pressure. When I first installed my chip, the initial trans setting felt exactly like stock. I believe my tugger plate was drilled to .040 and it feels perfect, quick snappy shifts but still smooth in all throttle positions. I also installed a twin disc torque converter since we had it pulled out anyways and there was a bit of brown patina on the tc case.

I don't know about the woods valve body, but I ran a Greg Evans factory tech VB on my lightning, and there was ABSOLUTELY no need to raise the line pressure. The 1-2 shift could hurt your neck with good traction and the 2-3 shift would bark the tires. 20,000 miles later it still shifts perfect, stock TC too.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Alright so on my way home tonight my transmission feels like it starts slipping. I get on it and yup its slipping. Pisses me off. I take the brand new edge evolution programmer out and the transmission is ok ? I dont get it. Anyways im into a transmission. I have done alot of reading on the tugger kit valve body and the notorious torque converter issues. So here are my questions. The tugger kit yes or no or other companies . Torque converter do i have mine built with a 3 disc and have them lower the stall speed to 1600 rpm or look for a 6.0l one. I am probably going to do this next week so ill start ordering all the parts for it then send it in for rebuiild. Again I have a 2002 excursion with a mbrp exhaust and a full intake. I bought the edge evolution 15000 programmer. I do alot of towing in the summer with this truck. PS anyone else have this issue with this programmer ? Post away and thanks for all the replies in advance.

Vito.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.