truck won't crank...at times - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
truck won't crank...at times

I knew my starter was on it's way out, it's been cranking slow, sometimes I'd have to hit it with a hammer. So on friday (the temp was -18, -31 w/ wind chill) I go to start the truck and nothing, hit the starter w/ a hammer, still nothing. I put a new starter in that afternoon and it fires right up. I thought my problem was solved. Then the next day I go to start the truck (it was -14, no wind though) and nothing again, so I start looking going through all the relays, fuses, and everything seems to check out. One thing I did notice is that when my glow plugs are on my voltage drops to around 11.2v. And its around 12.2 when the truck is not running and nothing is on. Voltage is 14.5 when running. The 2 batteries I have now are cheap wal-mart everstarts, 650cca I think, that are 15 months old, 1 month over the warranty ! They came with the truck when I bought it. My transmission range sensor seems to be working fine. And the starter relay above the passenger battery seems to be fine, or could it just be working intermediately? Is 11.2 volts too low to crank the motor?...if not should I be looking at buying some new (better) batteries? Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_hawk View Post
I knew my starter was on it's way out, it's been cranking slow, sometimes I'd have to hit it with a hammer. So on friday (the temp was -18, -31 w/ wind chill) I go to start the truck and nothing, hit the starter w/ a hammer, still nothing. I put a new starter in that afternoon and it fires right up. I thought my problem was solved. Then the next day I go to start the truck (it was -14, no wind though) and nothing again, so I start looking going through all the relays, fuses, and everything seems to check out. One thing I did notice is that when my glow plugs are on my voltage drops to around 11.2v. And its around 12.2 when the truck is not running and nothing is on. Voltage is 14.5 when running. The 2 batteries I have now are cheap wal-mart everstarts, 650cca I think, that are 15 months old, 1 month over the warranty ! They came with the truck when I bought it. My transmission range sensor seems to be working fine. And the starter relay above the passenger battery seems to be fine, or could it just be working intermediately? Is 11.2 volts too low to crank the motor?...if not should I be looking at buying some new (better) batteries? Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.
Well I'm willing to bet your problems are linked, but you just dont realise you have two problems. Our truck really need at least 850 cca, but 875 cca is prefered. I'm willing to bet those little 650 cca are just too small to handle the load it needs, because I know the ones the p.o. of my truck had on there werent, and they were 650's. If the voltage runs too low, heat builds up in the starter and kills it. So I've got two questions for you. Do you check the batteries with both hooked up or do you unhook one of the positive terminals? and wth are you that its gettin that cold?!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Im in WI, we just had a 4-5 day cold spell, Canada took a dump on us or something. Anyway, I get my voltage off of the pcm using a scan gauge. I just put a new starter in so I'm set there... Who has 875cca batteries? I was thinking tomorrow I would pick some motorcraft batteries up from the dealer that are 1000ca, Im not sure what the cca are though, I believe they said 850.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Im in WI, we just had a 4-5 day cold spell, Canada took a dump on us or something. Anyway, I get my voltage off of the pcm using a scan gauge. I just put a new starter in so I'm set there... Who has 875cca batteries? I was thinking tomorrow I would pick some motorcraft batteries up from the dealer that are 1000ca, Im not sure what the cca are though, I believe they said 850.
Hmm, well I believe the scan gauge just assesses (sp?) the system voltage, not the individual battery (it couldnt anyway unless it can sever the circuit ) So if you have a mutimeter just disconnect one of the poles and read each battery seperately. Interstate has 875 cca and 850 cca batteries, I bought 850's (wish I would have went 875) Depends on the price the stealership gave you, but normally they try to take an arm and a leg for their parts, and there are interstate "dealers" all over around here (12 within 15 miles), but I'm in southern Illinois. Just curious on your starter, did you get an OEM starter or did you get a gear reduction/ high torque starter?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
the 650s will do it..

the wire going to the solenoid on the starter...did you check it for voltage when you have the key turned? it may just not be getting a signal to engage the motor..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM

I put a gear reduction starter on, works great, a lot faster, when it cranks anyway...the dealer is giving me a good price on the 1000/850's, $115 each. Which is weird for my local dealer. But even if one battery is bad shouldn't the truck at least turn real slow? I will check them separately tomorrow w/ my multimeter, too cold and too late tonight. I checked the power once with the old starter, I had power, but a bad starter, I will check the power to the new starter tomorrow then follow it back to the ignition again. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Last edited by rt_hawk; 01-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post
the 650s will do it..

the wire going to the solenoid on the starter...did you check it for voltage when you have the key turned? it may just not be getting a signal to engage the motor..
Well maybe I didn't word that well, but the 650's worked just fine in the summer... but once cold weather came along and the oil was heavy and the batteries actually had their work cut out for them, they just weren't quite up for the task like the 850's were. Idk, just my
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i bet it is the fender relay. next time it doesnt want to crank, take a screwdriver and bridge the two large posts. if it cranks that way, the relay is shot. i had an intermintent no crank issue and the relay was the problem....
Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Just thought of this, the truck only cranks when the temp is above 0 since I fixed the starter. This morning when it was -14 I got nothing, but at 5pm tonight it was 4 and it would crank and start...so I'm thinking weak batteries then? Ill double check the fender relay too...
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Just thought of this, the truck only cranks when the temp is above 0 since I fixed the starter. This morning when it was -14 I got nothing, but at 5pm tonight it was 4 and it would crank and start...so I'm thinking weak batteries then? Ill double check the fender relay too...
Quiet possible. Let me ask you this, when the truck doesn't crank, does it click a lot? Or does it just kinda chug like half a crank and not go any farther? or both? lol sorry if that doesnt clarify. Cold weather will definately show a weak battery. And what weight oil ya runnin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.