New here and lots of questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here and lots of questions.

First hello, been lurking for a couple weeks and this seems like a nice place with some smart folks.

Ok I just sold my brand X Suburban big block 2wd. I put 150K on it and one transmission. Last month I bought an 01 Excursion limited with 55K on it. The previous owner (Good personal friend) gave me the hypertech tuner he had so he could change the tire diameter and he also put in the max tune in it. I remember hearing something about that being wrong when pushing hard towing so I took it off, just left the tire recalc.

I have 2 or 3 other daily drivers and would like to push the ponies as I use the truck primarily to tow a 24ft toy box car hauler. It is taller than most enclosed trailers. Gross on the trailer with a car in it is about 9K. I have all the tow stuff I need, sway contol, equalizer hitch, brake controller etc. My concerns are with the truck. I am so new I am not sure what transmission it has, have not looked yet I assume it is a standard auto for all 01 Excursions with 4wd.

So I have a bunch of questions:

1 Should I keep the hypertech or get something more complete with more options.
2 Are gauges (information) a must (I think so). Can a good tuner with a panel like the EVO 2 do the job or are actual individual gauges really the best. I hate the idea of drilling a manifold on a truck but I guess everyone does it. Vacuum, a magnet and some grease gets all the filings?
3 Exhaust, my burb droned bad with a magnaflow or something. I do not, as in never, want the truck to drone. So which exhaust is decent MBRP, Silverline, Gibson BD; 4in or 5 in? Totally clueless as is apparent.
4 Air intake, is one much better than the other, K&N Volante etc. Again, clueless.
5 Transmission, should I add a bigger pan and a cooler or just the pan or just the cooler or is that going to come after I do the rest of the mods.

My goal it to have the truck pull my trailer at will. No worrying about anything. Safety over power over look. I build other cars for show. It will never be in a show. If it comes in plain or chrome I want plain. I do not need anything high end just dependable power. Never going to go to the drag strip with it. Do not want to smoke anyone out. Do not want to upset the neighbors with loud exhaust (the diesel is loud enough) when I have to leave at 6 AM on a Saturday.

I know this is long but I just do not want to throw money in the truck and have it mushroom into a huge expense. I am thinking I can do the work myself. I need to know what to budget and what works the best for towing. Thanks in advance. Cheers Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Congrats on the new truck. Most people on hear dont like the k&N for diesels, For a tuner many folks get a ts or a dp, i am not sure if sct makes anything for the 7.3l, i'm sure they do. The gauges are personal preferance, i like individual gauges on the pillar, but some dont. A 4 inch exhaust would be perfect for towing. The transmission upgrades wouldnt hurt either. If your gonna do cooler or pan, i would go with the pan to get more fluid in there, it will be cooler. You should also get a tranny temp gauge for towing. Get a boost, and egt gauge. The egt is most important.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

welcome to your new addiction.

Sounds like you have a nice new rig. Your main goal is towing it sounds like. You are going to wanna tow safe and the hypertech is about the safest on you can tow with....even on the performance setting.

Afe IMHO make the best intakes around.

Exhaust you will want a 4in turboback system. They all do the same thing no matter what brand they are. The biggest thing is fitment. Gus at Farmboy Diesel has a great system for an awesome price. So make sure to check them out. If not MBRP is good also.

Get yourself a boost, pyro, and trnastemp gauge, and a 6.0 trans cooler. I'm not really sold on the deep pans. Brian from BTS makes sense when he says they take longer to heat up but are harder to cool the extra capacity.

I hope this helps and again welcome to the family
Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Howdy and
Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Welcome! and Congrats on the new ride!!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the ORG.!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

enjoy the site and your new truck!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I too mostly lurk through this site.

This site has been a fantastic resource. I think I'm going to have to donate some dough (sooner than later). Anyhow, I have an Ex. You can see the stuff I've done in my signature. After searching through this forum, and through the Cummins forum I've found that gauges, airflow, and fueling (progammers) make up the needed components that give your powerplant smart, reliable freedom. I can tell you that this recipe made a difference. I have taken several road trips, and have not had an issue w/ being underpowered. I also pay attention to fluids. There's been massive leaps forward in the area of lubricants. As for oil, I have been using the ValvolinePremiumBlueExtreme. This is the synthetic, and it seems to really work well. Smooth, less heat, and yes I believe it helps w/ fuel mileage. I also use MarvelMysteryOil w/ PowerService in every tank of fuel. 16oz of each per fill up. It's my opinion that this keeps all of the fueling components clean and lubed. I use purolator oil and fuel filters. Well, that's all I can think of, but if you plan on hauling yourself and family for long distances, exercise discernment in mods. Who cares if you can do some massive burn out... I'd rather ascend up the Raton Pass without downshifting, or drop out of overdrive and pass some donkey on the mobile phone who can't multi-task... Cheers.

Last edited by TurnerBurn; 07-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
The Fat Mod

The only other thing that I would pick up that I have not seen yet is a CPS. Cam positioning sensor. You can get it from Ford for around $28. It should be a grey sensor. They are prone to fail at the worst time. Pick one up, throw it in the glove box, and that way you will have it if you ever need it. to the ORG, and if you have any more questions...let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.