JUST GENERAL TRANSMISSION QUESTIONS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JUST GENERAL TRANSMISSION QUESTIONS

A brief temp gauge rise last summer has me wondering about the transmission in my '02 F350D PSD. It's totally stock and has 80k on it, all but the first 11k driven by me. Our new trailer is coming in May and will weigh in at 9k or more by the time we outfit it. We live at high altitude, 9k feet, so we're always pulling long grades in thin air. I'd like your suggestions as to how best to keep my tranny in one piece, which I think is a 4R100 as it's an auto transmission. I'm going to install gauges so I can watch temps and boost, but is the cooler adequate? Do I have to go to the 6.0 cooler? What about the cheapo Perma-Cools? Would a larger pan and additional fluid help? Just how good is this transmission in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With 80K on the trans you should still have quite a bit of life in it, especially if it has had proper maintenance during its life. That 9K trailer shouldn't bother your stock cooler. My Dad and I have both used our 01 and 02 7.3s with the stock coolers pulling 12-16K through the mountains from the midwest to the west coast several times. The 4r100 is a good trans and with stock hp should hold together good for you. Unless you just want to upgrade then I would pull the trailer before I'd spend the money. If you do upgrade then yes the 6.0 cooler is a very nice upgrade.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

You can NEVER have too much cooling.. im too cheap for a 6.0 cooler but i have the trucool and it does a great job...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
You can NEVER have too much cooling.. im too cheap for a 6.0 cooler but i have the trucool and it does a great job...
Too cheap?? I got my 6.0 cooler for $75 at the junk yard and had it flushed and acid dipped for $25. So $100 for a massive cooler is pretty cheap.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryraised View Post
Too cheap?? I got my 6.0 cooler for $75 at the junk yard and had it flushed and acid dipped for $25. So $100 for a massive cooler is pretty cheap.
yeah thats great... but remember here theres nothin in the scrap yards lol.. well if there is they charge a ton more. aye good ol california.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the factory cooler is marginal at best, and adding any addional cooling will help. My trans temp gauge has seen 220 degrees too meny times too easily, and will soon see an additional cooler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.