Story of two poor 7.3s.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Story of two poor 7.3s....

Some of you may remember a couple days ago when I post about this atv place that had a couple psd's for sale, and neither the salesman or the service manager knew jack about these trucks... but anyway, here's what I found out on the test drives and after a quick inspection that lead me to steer my friend away from buying either of these trucks, and in general just feeling sorry for these poor, mistreated trucks. To hell with the salesman But anyway, first was the red one. 2000 f250 4x4 offroad ext cab long bed. well first off let me say this thing was not pretty, unless people find body damage on superdutys pretty. Front end looked like it hit a ditch, had bed side damage, door damage, in bed damage.... just beat all to hell. So we get in and it starts fine, had to drive it to a different lot to get under the hood, creepy lil salesman didnt look to kindly on my inspection (should have been a moment right there) So it starts up good and the thing idles ok, but damn this thing is loud! I know ive got an early 99, but even when I'm getting on the throttle its not near as loud as this thing was just gettin it up to 30 mph. But it had 4 inch duals so I didnt think too hard on it. And OH MY GOODNESS, this thing rode like a dying horse, kicked and bucked and felt like either the cab or the bed was gonna come off makin too sharp of a turn. So we get out and look under the cab, and when comparing the between the valvecovers of my 383k mile e99 to this 280k mile 2000, what a difference! Mine has some pooled oil and fuel (my bad ) but this thing is absolutely disgusting! Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was caked in this black tar like grime that was just plane nasty. I unplugger the ICP to check the pigtail, and it looked like it just puked pure crude. So not only that, the belts squeeling, pumps rattlin, and this dang thing just looks horrible. So I pull the tranny dipstick, looks a quart or two low, not a big deal. Pull oil dipstick, wow, BLACK AS NIGHT! I know that the oil in our trucks looks dirty almost immediately, but when I did my last oil change with 5200 miles on rotella t mine looked cleaner than this. And I was told the truck had the oil changed just before he took it up to chicago a couple weeks ago... bs. doesnt no oil with less than 3k miles look like this. So I'm bout fed up, but all this is incidental and could be minor, then I see the air box. THE TABS NEAR THE FENDER WERENT EVEN UNDER THE HOOKS!!!! I told hime to shut it down so I could take a look at the inside of the air intake (being as we didnt have the tools to look at the impeller) WTF. ENTIRE INSIDE OF THE FILTER HOUSING IS CAKED WITH DUST, TOP AND BOTTOM!!! I told him there wasnt no way I would let him buy this truck, being as it probably has too much dust to fix. He said he didnt even want it now So we take this poor soul back to the lot, and decide to take the next psd for a spin...

So now for the green one... 2001 ext sb 4x4 lariat, body actually in decent shape, except for the weather stripping on the top of the windshield coming off . Get in it, interior looks nice (at first) then he starts it up. This is just as loud if not louder than the red one. Thing rides terrible too, which is wierd because it has the exact same suspension as mine, minus 2 inches in the rear. He was driving and said the steering was stiff, wouldnt turn left unless you REALLY put some english on it. Damn thing was vibrating down the road at only 30 mph too Transmission shifted so loose it felt like the tranny was guessing when and where to shift. The messed up part is the truck only "had" 138k on it... sure didnt seem like it. As he was driving I was looking over the truck. The center console was missing something up front, the hinges were barely hanging on. The sun glasses holder was broke all the way off, the over head console didnt work. And every vent but the far left was broke right down the middle. Get it over to the parking lot for inspection. Try messing with the hubs for sh!ts n giggles. Passenger side one would turn if I he-manned it, but the drivers side was siezed. Looked like somebody had tryed prying and beating on it too. Pop the hood. WTF again!?! The entire engine compartment was covered in this blackish oily subtance. and i mean ENTIRE. Checked the oil, just as bad as the other one. checked tranny, DIPSTICK WAS DRY! Pulled ICP, oil was damn near FLOWING OUT! Have him shut it down so i can check the airbox... guess what? MORE DUST! all though I will say it wasnt NEARLY as bad as the red one, any noticible deposits are too much in my book. So a nother "why the F*** not?" scenario I have him do a 4x4 launch on the snowpack, to see if it works. Go figure, it doesnt, we go sideway. Now I'm thouroughly disgusted at this point, and so is my friend. We get back, park the truck, had the keys to the little creeper, he asks what he thinks. Suprisingly enough all my friend says is theres just too much sh!t wrong with them. So he says well you wouldnt take them for any price? Then flat offers to give them to him for half the advertised price (which would still be too much in my book), and I just shake my head at him. We leave, never going here again obviously

Interestingly enough neither of these trucks showed significant blow-by.

But just for the heck of it we stopped by the Ford dealer otw back and it may just have justified the whole trip over there... but I'll let you know if it all goes through. dont like to count ponies before they're tethered in the driveway

Hope I didnt bore you too much

Keep Strokin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
poor trucks. i enjoyed the read
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
poor 7.3's dont deserve that. those guys sound like morons and like they had literally gotten them used beat up trucks and threw em on the lot.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 AM

so did you end up getting a truck at the ford dealer or ???
Old 01-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Almost makes baby Jesus cry
Old 01-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfever090 View Post
Almost makes baby Jesus cry
6 pound 7 ounce baby jesus all curled up in his manger... shake and bake
Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
so did you end up getting a truck at the ford dealer or ???
Well I dont wanna spoil the suprize, but hopefully by either this evening or monday night that will be the case
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
Well I dont wanna spoil the suprize, but hopefully by either this evening or monday night that will be the case
well did you hook your buddy up with yours or did you trade it in?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM

where is this? and how much did the salesman offer you? almost sounds like one of em might make a good project
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good read. At least seeing all those problems helps make you more aware of all problems you can come across out there. I came across a few ragged out rebuilt trucks before I found my 99. Some poor guy will probably end up with 1 of those truck and end up on here asking for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.