DUMBEST question ever..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DUMBEST question ever.....

....I mean, how can you mess up using a Dipstick????

new to me...2000 Excursion auto 7.3L with 156K miles and not a drop of anything hits the driveway.

...so I do my fluid check last weekend and test the tranny while the motor is running, shift in N and the engine/tranny warmed up. Dang, fluid barely on the dipstick; even below the Cold range. I end up adding more than a quart and the dipstick still shows low.

The truck runs and shifts fine.

This morning I check the fluid level with the truck Cold. DANG!! the level is over the top; higher than the Hot range on the stick! WTH??

It's hard to mess up a dipstick reading, but I need to know what's the right way to check that tranny before I blow something up by adding too much...or starve it by running too low.

Fluid is bright Red, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 AM

supposed to be checked in park, I never check mine when cold.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're supposed to read it with the motor warm and running, in park.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 AM

You're right, it was in Park when I checked it. I wouldn't leave the truck in N and nobody in it.

IF the reading shows way low, I'm concerned about adding even more fluid, so let me ask this....

If I overfill, how will I know it? Will shift points change or will a sound tell me?

At what point would I know if there's not enough fluid in the tranny? Shift points, whining?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not personaly but I watched a guy add to much and it puked it right back out the dipstick tube. Go drive it around for a few minutes and get it good and warm(normal running temp) and then check it. Add a half quart at a time. Every time you add some go through the gears with foot on brake and motor still running.Place back in park and re test level. Repeat till full
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
You're right, it was in Park when I checked it. I wouldn't leave the truck in N and nobody in it.

IF the reading shows way low, I'm concerned about adding even more fluid, so let me ask this....

If I overfill, how will I know it? Will shift points change or will a sound tell me?

nope, but it can harm the pump

At what point would I know if there's not enough fluid in the tranny? Shift points, whining?

It will get real warm, and start to fry stuff from no fluid
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 AM

OK, then the Cold range on the dipstick is worthless...forget about what it reads.

Another pint got the Hot reading into the right range, so today I'll add some more until it hits the middle of the range.

This is unofficial, but it seems like the truck shifts into 4th around 40MPH now, and it used to take until 43 or so to do that. Is that a clue that fluid level is low for the shift points to change?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 AM

from another person's response...

overfilling will never hurt your trans. the excess fluid will burp out vent until trans is at its happiest level. which will usually indicate overfull on a stock stick. ford e40d/ 4r100 trannys love to have the fluid filled to the pan rail. best investment you can make is to mark your dipstick to show where the pan rail is. millions of tranys replaced rebuilt for shudders / slips caused by low fluid. even though stick says full. after rebuild a dry trans and convertor install with an aux cooler takes 20 qts of fluid to fill in our shop after we correct the stick on an e40d /4r100.
bet you all dont know about dissapearing fluid from transfer cases and straight drives that run atf. the fluid is churned up into vapor and goes out vent without leaving a sign of a leak. they eventually run dry and damage is done. add qt of lucas stabiller or synthetic motor oil to any gearbox the runs on atf for security. and most late model transfer cases need an extra qt of fluid added thru the speed sensors after filling thru the fill plug.

Anybody agree or disagree?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

checking in N is a mopar thing not ford
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My dad had this problem with his 03 6.0 and they told him it was the seal between his tranny and transfer case was out...take the plug out of your overflow in your transfer case and see if fluid comes out and if so it's most likly that seal...the fluid will flow into the transfer case but will not come back out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.