Convert Dual Rear Wheels to 1 wide single wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convert Dual Rear Wheels to 1 wide single wheel?

Hey guys, I have been thinking about converting my dually rear wheels to one wide wheel. I still want to keep the truck a "dually" with hips and the D80 axle etc. Just considering swapping to one wide rear tire / wheel like a LOT of big trucks are doing. I have noticed a lot of over the road trucks running one wide tire / wheel on both drive axles of their big trucks instead of duals.

From what I have been told, it cuts down on weight and maintains a similar load capacity as the duals.

I dont know what options are available for pickups but I have been considering swapping to big truck wheels and using the same ones they use in the rear if possible. I need to look at what tires are available and lug nut adapter etc to see if this is feasible. I DONT want to lift the truck as I will be pulling goosenecks / fifth wheels with it a lot.

Anyone heard of anything like this or know of some options?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I have seen in maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunny Rapp USMC
Well I drive a 2012 International Pro Star Semi, and as for the "Super Single" as they are called in the industry. they are supposed to give you the same contact area with the road... and more effecent.... But as a driver that HAS had them... they are P.O.S and way to over priced for what they are (I even entertained the same thought of going to the super single on my 350) but after running the road with them and loosing 4 tires over 6 months I STRONGLY advise against it.... they only come in SEMI sizes right now, but you actually dont gain anything by them... not to mention... they cost about 300-400 more per tire than standard dually s. Fuel mileage is actually WORSE with the super single... and I personally like the fact that if you blow one tire you can use the other to get off the road safely. if you loose a super single you will be like I was.. stuck on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for the mechanic to get it off take it to get a new tire then bring it back.

My final advise.....

STAY AWAY FROM SUPER SINGLES AT ALL COSTS !

Last edited by Gunny Rapp USMC; 01-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Rapp USMC View Post
Well I drive a 2012 International Pro Star Semi, and as for the "Super Single" as they are called in the industry. they are supposed to give you the same contact area with the road... and more effecent.... But as a driver that HAS had them... they are P.O.S and way to over priced for what they are (I even entertained the same thought of going to the super single on my 350) but after running the road with them and loosing 4 tires over 6 months I STRONGLY advise against it.... they only come in SEMI sizes right now, but you actually dont gain anything by them... not to mention... they cost about 300-400 more per tire than standard dually s. Fuel mileage is actually WORSE with the super single... and I personally like the fact that if you blow one tire you can use the other to get off the road safely. if you loose a super single you will be like I was.. stuck on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for the mechanic to get it off take it to get a new tire then bring it back.

My final advise.....

STAY AWAY FROM SUPER SINGLES AT ALL COSTS !
Lots of logic in there....

(I wouldn't do it.)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From what I have found on them people either love them or hate them. I don't know if that is due to some brands being good or other brands just sucking that much...

I can say that the size isn't there for our trucks right now. (19.5 inch 62MPH trailer tires excluded) If they come out with one for a 19.5 wheel that is close to a 245/70R19.5 in diameter, I can find some hard numbers on fuel mileage (good or bad) to see for myself, and comparable tire life... I MIGHT consider them.

...BUT don't think I ever will!

HERE is a conversation you might read over...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Honestly, from semi driver to semi driver I wouldn't use them (from driver experience like above) but on a 350 with a GVWR of 30000 or less of a difference, I don't think I would worry about blowing a tire due to weight but the difference in cost would be a factor. I personally think it would look awesome, kind of like a drag (funny) car look.

GO FOR IT MAN!! POST PICS WHEN YOU DO IT. I CAN'T WAIT.....
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wait no more...

CLICKY HERE!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

IMHO I think duallys are dually for a reason... but you will only here me say this til they make super single mud tires lol... but seriously, I looked at the link with pics and a tear nearly came to my eye when I saw how they butched that bed. just my
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

I've seen that dually conversion. I wonder how the 4x4 works. If you look at the overall hight of the rear compared to the front, looks like trouble to me. Any way, check out my front wheel conversion. Not exactly what your looking to do but what I wanted to do was to get away from the front pizza cutters on the dually without putting oversize tires on skinny dually rims. Also, I don't like the "star" rim design. This conversion also helped out with the weight of the snow plow in addition to the additional weight of a diesel engine. I know, the front rims don't match the rear, and tire rotation is impossible and in the case of a flat, well, I should carry a separate spare for the front. I'm happy with it. So far I havent found anyone who's done this so as of now I'm claiming it as my own original customization. Single rear wheel (SRW) front wheel conversion.

Since this pic was taken, I have replaced rear tires to match design and turned white letters out.

Last edited by capcalvin; 01-20-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 AM

back in the early 80's when I managed a tire shop, we would put a wide 16.5 wheel and tire on a dually.Was cheaper after you bought the wheels. Didn't give up much weight from what I recall.I think it was a 12 inch wide x 16.5 in a 8 or 10 ply tire.We did a lot of them to convert older trucks to tubeless and was a cheap way to get rid of the old split rims. Not sure 16.5 wheels and tires are common anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.