Amsoil to Rotella - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil to Rotella

What do you think should do? The truck has had Amsoil all its life and its been great. Amsoil is just hard to come by it you needed on a vacation and its expensive. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i run Rotella and it runs great.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Rotella for the last 100K, have 218K on mine
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

I run Amsoil in everything my family and i own. Its amazing stuff. Change my oil every 10,000 miles, still comes out with a gold tint. Just running it once in moms car cleaned all of the sludge out of the valve covers and oil pan. As an average between my brother (5.9 cummins) my dad (6.0) and my 7.3 we've averaged a 1.7 mpg increase switching to amsoil from rotella. I got 2.2 mpgs better switching everything over. My dads also been able to keep his 6.0 together for 105K (no injectors going out, 1st turbo, no cooler issues, no major work at all). Amsoil also makes better filters. (flow, particulate size, amount of media ect.)
Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Christ Follower

Two years ago I switched from Ford or NAPA oil filters to the AmsOil Ea099 oil filter and could not believe the difference. I still run the Rotella Synthetic. After the 2nd oil change at 5K intervals, the oil came out almost as clean as it went in. I change it every 10k and have the oil analysis done every other change and I could stretch the oil changes out to 20k, but that doesn't seem smart. My 7.3 has 232K on the odometer and I can't believe how clean the oil stays. I buy 3 filters at a time so I don't have to worry about finding one when I need one. I drive 1k or more a week and this is the best piece of mind I have bought for the truck.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Rotella is good, but it is not a full Synthetic, and not as good as AMSOIL.

AMSOIL is KING oil.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't worry about switching to regular oil and buy your lady a steak dinner with the savings. I switched to Amsoil oil and filters for my '02 PSD at around 40k and my wife's 5.4 Expedition at the same time. Biggest difference I found was in my wallet. I switched back to regular Rotella in the PSD and a brand name in the gas. It may be okay to drive 25k on Amsoil but I'd rather change at 3 to 5k and forget about it. I've driven cars and trucks and tractors for 50 years on OIL and never had a problem related to oil. There's a temptation even for me to monkey around with synthetics and blends, but when you come right down to it, regular maintenance can't be beaten. And if you beat up your vehicle impressing the Subaru next to you, all the fancy lubes in the world aren't going to help.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My dad always ran rotella in his rigs.. few million miles. I use mobil delvac and my truck loves it. I'll probably go to rotella next oil change if prices hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.