Coolant change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant change

Reading the different articles on changeing the system fluid,it looks as if one would use city water to flush/refill system.I've have always been taught to use distilled water.Question is to use city water when one must also use an additive to keep a ph balance right.Oh,by the way,how much coolant/water mixture will be needed to refill. Thanks in advance.Mike..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshead
Reading the different articles on changeing the system fluid,it looks as if one would use city water to flush/refill system.I've have always been taught to use distilled water.Question is to use city water when one must also use an additive to keep a ph balance right.Oh,by the way,how much coolant/water mixture will be needed to refill. Thanks in advance.Mike..........
i would just use the city water and the additive. the additive is also a water pump lube, and distilled water doesnt garantee getting proper PH a few months from now. the additive is cheap and one bottle treats a whole cooling system. you will need about five gallons of mixed coolant (50/50) to do a complete service. it varies how much comes out depening on a few factors.......but bet on putting at least three mixed gallons in if you are just drainig the pet****.....another gallon or so if you actually pull the lower rad hose.........and all five if you plan on unscrewing your block heater and draining it that way (make sure to use a thread sealer on the block heater if you do it that way)....possibly even part of a sixth.........Marc
post #3 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

and that was all assuming you dont have gold coolant in your truck (some 01-02 and all 03's).....then you need no additive, only mix and pour.......
post #4 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply Marc. Where can you get this "gold" coolant, maybe I'll just use it .I'm assuming it's still 50/50 mixture?
post #5 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshead
Thanks for the reply Marc. Where can you get this "gold" coolant, maybe I'll just use it .I'm assuming it's still 50/50 mixture?
u dont want to run gold in a mixture that was green........gold is the new factory color for the long life coolant but we are being told not to put it in a cooling system that was green from the factory.......Marc
post #6 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Will just the standard green Preston work.??..Or is there something I will need specifically for the 99 PSD..I plan 0n doing mine this weekend.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Re: coolant

I'm not sure what coolant the 99's came with but if it's green, then green preston should be fine. You might want to test the coolant and add the motorcraft additive (don't remember the part number) if necessary. I test about every twelve month (around this time of year before winter) and use the additive if needed.

Jim

95 F-250 Extended Cab with 3 Gage Piller Pod and BTS Transmission Super Duty Transmission cooler
74 Jeep CJ-5 304 V8
67 Mustang Coupe 289 V8
2002 Explorer
54 F100 Project Truck
27 Model T Pick-up Project Truck
post #8 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

FWIW, I just flushed my system and replaced the coolant with Cat ELC 50/50 premix. S/B good for 300k miles. Of course it's kind of handy to have the oil & coolant testing lab just downstairs from my office..

1996 F-250 XLT Supercab. Black. Edge Evolution tuner, 4" MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake, Isspro Gauges. "Ol' Black"

2011 F-350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab. Ranch Hand Legend Front & Rear Bumpers. Forest Green

333 - I'm only half bad!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 PM
lifetime member

additative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
and that was all assuming you dont have gold coolant in your truck (some 01-02 and all 03's).....then you need no additive, only mix and pour.......
hope i didn't mess up. i just came across this info. i checked my coolant with a test strip and then put in the additative. if it had the gold, is this a mistake?

january 2003 6.0 F-350 Lariat 4x4 cc with 08 long bed. recon cab and mirror lenses, torqueshift(reman on 9-03-09) with three disc billet convertor(500 rpm lowered stall speed),mag-hytec deep tranny pan,, 8" fabtech lift w/ 37" iroc super swampers on helos,pro comp ladder bars, custom sct x3 with tunes by eric @ innovative diesel, boost and pyro,edge insight, afe, 4" straight piped, ARP headstuds, banks intercooler & high ram intake. engine mods & maintenance by first coast diesel performance.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrchofpwr View Post
hope i didn't mess up. i just came across this info. i checked my coolant with a test strip and then put in the additative. if it had the gold, is this a mistake?
the additive shouldnt hurt anything with the gold coolant, i wouldnt worry bout it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode