Coolant change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant change

Reading the different articles on changeing the system fluid,it looks as if one would use city water to flush/refill system.I've have always been taught to use distilled water.Question is to use city water when one must also use an additive to keep a ph balance right.Oh,by the way,how much coolant/water mixture will be needed to refill. Thanks in advance.Mike..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshead
Reading the different articles on changeing the system fluid,it looks as if one would use city water to flush/refill system.I've have always been taught to use distilled water.Question is to use city water when one must also use an additive to keep a ph balance right.Oh,by the way,how much coolant/water mixture will be needed to refill. Thanks in advance.Mike..........
i would just use the city water and the additive. the additive is also a water pump lube, and distilled water doesnt garantee getting proper PH a few months from now. the additive is cheap and one bottle treats a whole cooling system. you will need about five gallons of mixed coolant (50/50) to do a complete service. it varies how much comes out depening on a few factors.......but bet on putting at least three mixed gallons in if you are just drainig the pet****.....another gallon or so if you actually pull the lower rad hose.........and all five if you plan on unscrewing your block heater and draining it that way (make sure to use a thread sealer on the block heater if you do it that way)....possibly even part of a sixth.........Marc
Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

and that was all assuming you dont have gold coolant in your truck (some 01-02 and all 03's).....then you need no additive, only mix and pour.......
Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply Marc. Where can you get this "gold" coolant, maybe I'll just use it .I'm assuming it's still 50/50 mixture?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshead
Thanks for the reply Marc. Where can you get this "gold" coolant, maybe I'll just use it .I'm assuming it's still 50/50 mixture?
u dont want to run gold in a mixture that was green........gold is the new factory color for the long life coolant but we are being told not to put it in a cooling system that was green from the factory.......Marc
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Will just the standard green Preston work.??..Or is there something I will need specifically for the 99 PSD..I plan 0n doing mine this weekend.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Re: coolant

I'm not sure what coolant the 99's came with but if it's green, then green preston should be fine. You might want to test the coolant and add the motorcraft additive (don't remember the part number) if necessary. I test about every twelve month (around this time of year before winter) and use the additive if needed.

Jim
Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

FWIW, I just flushed my system and replaced the coolant with Cat ELC 50/50 premix. S/B good for 300k miles. Of course it's kind of handy to have the oil & coolant testing lab just downstairs from my office..
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 PM
lifetime member

additative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
and that was all assuming you dont have gold coolant in your truck (some 01-02 and all 03's).....then you need no additive, only mix and pour.......
hope i didn't mess up. i just came across this info. i checked my coolant with a test strip and then put in the additative. if it had the gold, is this a mistake?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrchofpwr View Post
hope i didn't mess up. i just came across this info. i checked my coolant with a test strip and then put in the additative. if it had the gold, is this a mistake?
the additive shouldnt hurt anything with the gold coolant, i wouldnt worry bout it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.