What year is the best for the 7.3L 99-03 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What year is the best for the 7.3L 99-03

Hello everyone I have been looking at some 7.3L powerstrokes. I am trying to get some input on what is the "best" year and main issues to look for in these trucks/stuff to watch out for while shopping. From what I am grasping 200K miles is nothing on a properly maintained motor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

depends on what you want. i think the biggest difference is Forged rods vs. PMR. 99-00 had forged, and some 01's did as well. but youll have to check the serial or look inside the block to be sure.

early 99 had some quirky things, 15* HPOP, smaller injectors, 4x4 parts, ecu etc. nothing bad, just differences in power, and parts availability. they can be modded to reflect a late 99+. late 99+ has 17* HPOP, etc.

so in durability and such my opinion would be a 00. but if your not powerign up more than 400hp or so. then any of them would be fine.

what to look for: try and do a cold start, check the turbo fins for damage, if you see turbo damage then beware. check for leaks and post them here, most leaks aren't a big deal. see if you can get service records. if your really anal then get a compression test. check the front end for wear as well. are you looking for an auto or manual? what is your goal with the truck?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM

2000 is my pick
Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post

depends on what you want. i think the biggest difference is Forged rods vs. PMR. 99-00 had forged, and some 01's did as well. but youll have to check the serial or look inside the block to be sure.

early 99 had some quirky things, 15* HPOP, smaller injectors, 4x4 parts, ecu etc. nothing bad, just differences in power, and parts availability. they can be modded to reflect a late 99+. late 99+ has 17* HPOP, etc.

so in durability and such my opinion would be a 00. but if your not powerign up more than 400hp or so. then any of them would be fine.

what to look for: try and do a cold start, check the turbo fins for damage, if you see turbo damage then beware. check for leaks and post them here, most leaks aren't a big deal. see if you can get service records. if your really anal then get a compression test. check the front end for wear as well. are you looking for an auto or manual? what is your goal with the truck?
Is there anywhere online that has a list of serial numbers to verify which 01's had a forged lower end? But you are saying all 99-00's are forged? What about injectors? I read the duramax injectors go out frequently. How long do most people go before an injector(s) failure? I see you are in BS I am in Shawnee. Know of any solid rigs for sale around KC?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM

honestly, for most who are gonna do just intake, exhaust and a chip any of them work nice. the 02 and 03 have really nice interiors compared to the older ones. they also have good cupholders... I have a 00 and love the crap out of it, but have friends and family running 7.3's from early 99 up to an 03 and they are all awsome trucks. just a little different. find a clean one that starts nice and runs well.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM

i dont recall exact links. but there are a few places (here too i think) that have a range of serials that had forged and a range of serials with PMR's (Powered Metal Rods). i think dieselpowermag has them somewhere as well. but their search feature is worthless.

DMAX injector issues are limited mostly to the LB7 (01-04.5). as for PSD as long as the rig has been cared for injectors should be fine. they can wear out though. but if good oil was put the truck on schedule then they should be ok. if you know anyone that has the AutoEnginuty software with Ford Package, they can do an injector buzz test and CCT (Cylinder Contribution Test) i dont have the software. but that will tell a bit about injectors. many people go 300k + on the same set of injectors, or only changing a couple. our injectors are hydraulic, they use the motor oil as fluid.

some 01, and all 02-03 PSD's will have PMR's.

i dont know of any solid trucks for sale in the area, but i usually keep my eye on craigslist. since your close i know the weather your in. if possible, i would prefer shopping for a diesel when the truck is cold soaked. the colder the better. it gives yo an idea of the conditions of the glow plugs, batteries, glow relay, injectors, and compression. if the glows or relay are out then youll have trouble. but if they are good and still has trouble then there could be issue elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM

99' F250 lariat blk and lifted

dont know if its early or late but it look real nice
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The whole PMR -vs- Forged is just nonsense.....

Unless you have plans to dump thousands of dollars into engine performance it's not going to be ANY kind of issue for you.

I say, there IS no good/bad 7.3s, buy your truck on condition and configuration alone. Look for a good deal in the truck you want with the Body-Cab-Drivetrain you can afford and don't worry about "throwing" rods that, really, Aren't breaking for anyone
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is a 2003 7.3 crew cab short box for sale by me, its black with tan leather, only 87,000 miles, nice cap. They are asking 22,000 but you could probly talk them down
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The whole PMR -vs- Forged is just nonsense.....

Unless you have plans to dump thousands of dollars into engine performance it's not going to be ANY kind of issue for you.

I say, there IS no good/bad 7.3s, buy your truck on condition and configuration alone. Look for a good deal in the truck you want with the Body-Cab-Drivetrain you can afford and don't worry about "throwing" rods that, really, Aren't breaking for anyone
my pick is late 99 - 03 (even though mine is a E99 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.