My truck just dies?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck just dies??

2000 F250 Superduty. Auto, 4x4, supercab, cold air intake, MBRP 5" exhaust, Edge Juice with control module- 5 levels. 203k miles. New alternator, batteries, recently serviced with new fuel and oil filters. Has Valet remote start.

Truck has been running great. Last week I started it up and let it warm up for about 20 minutes. Drove down the road about 1 mile and it just shut off. cranked over fine but would not start. I waited for about 15 minutes and it started right up, ran for about 1/4 mile and died, did not run funny or anything. I waited and got it started, put the hammer down and got it home, died just as I pulled in. I started researching it and it sounded just like the CPS. I ordered a new one and replaced it last night. I started it and let it run for about 30 minutes, took it for a few laps around the farm and after about 20 minutes it died once again and would not start. Any ideas?? Fuel pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If it were the fuel pump you could see if the fuel bowl was empty (or near empty) by opening the drain valve and see what comes out.

Then turn the key on and listen for the pump to run for a few seconds. Do it a couple of times and recheck the drain. If all's OK you should get a fair amount of fuel out of it....
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I will check it out and get back with you.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Try the ICP sensor (injector conrol pressure sensor). Mine had similar symptoms. Its located on the drivers side valve cover. You can also try leaving it unplugged and driving it around to see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went out and started it up today, it was running rough. Put it in reverse and it would not pull its self all, I put it in neutral and put her to the floor. Slowly it started to rev so I put it in 4x4 low so I could get it in the garage. Pulled in and it continued to run but very poor, also was not blowing excessive or odd exhaust smoke. Immediately I changed the fuel filter. When I removed the fuel filter it did not have any pressure. My old filter did not look bad at all but I went ahead and changed it. Started it up and I ran fine, had excellent throttle response and rev. I did go back and check my fuel pressure and it was fine. The filter had plenty of pressure and fuel. I did not take it for a test drive because it is too late. Is it fixed? Could that be all my problem was.....just a fuel filter? I bought a fuel pressure tester but in small print on the box it said "Do not use on diesel or flex fuel vehicles". I will test drive it in the morning and let you guys know.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM

I really doubt that its the fuel filter. Like I said earlier, I had a similar problem and tried changing the fuel filter and the CPS but it didnt fix the problem. I did a little research and figured that it was the ICP sensor on the valve cover.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New fuel filter, new CPS and it still stalls. It seems worse, now it will idle for about 10 minutes and dies. Disconnecting the batteries for 10 minutes and it starts right up, but not for long. I must leave it disconnected for at least 10 minutes for it to start back up, I tried disconnecting for 3 minutes and it still would not start. I disconnected the ICP and the only thing that did was activate the "check engine light". I think it is time to get me a code scanner and hope something shows up.

When idling the motor does idle up until I touch the gas or brake, as if it is trying to warm up. When the truck is warm it will still do this. Could this idle issue have anything to do with my problem?

My truck definitely has plenty of fuel pressure also.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone ever bought a "bad" cam positioning sensor?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Are you running any type of power programmers? I recently had this problem happen to me again but it only happens when I have my programmer set at the highest level which is 5. I am running an Edge juice with attitude. As soon as I bring it back down to level 4, the problem goes way. I had an irratic idle and the truck accelerated on its own when on the frwy.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
CPS's have been "bad" out of the box.

Sounds like an ICP issue though. But im a 6oh guy. Im sure more info will be forthcoming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.